What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus flytraps? how will they over winter?

Ok I would normally leave my flytraps indoors for the winter in a place chilly enough for them to remain dormant. That was when i lived in a zone 5 climate. However the zone hardiness map has been updated and I now live in a Zone 6. I was wondering if my flytraps will be able to survive winter outdoors in this temperature or should I still bring them inside? The carolina's seem to be about a zone 7. it doesn't appear to be that much of a change. Would they survive if I put some clear plastic over it for insulation?

Hey man, I'm in Zone 5....and anyone in NY knows we had quite a brutal winter. I did an experiment and overwintered some VFT's outside by sinking the pot into the ground (so they rim of the pot was level with the earth), and then mulching them under 3" of cedar chips (the kind one uses as reptile bedding, beleive it or not....I don't advicate using these, but it WAS and experiment, in my defense). Well, lovely mother nature also provided us with quite a blanket of snow & ice. Low & behold, I only lost ONE plant out of about 10....And the one I lost didn't look so hot going into dormancy. I currently have 6 flower stalks going up from this batch. Also, on a side note, some of the leaves actually retained their ability to close & catch prey all through the dormancy period!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ May 18 2004,12:31)]However the zone hardiness map has been updated and I now live in a Zone 6.
ALLOSAURZ,
You did move right?
rock.gif
The above quote makes it sound like you haven't move, but the zone you were in was changed from 5 to 6 when they updated the hardiness zone map. In which case you'ld treat the plant the same this season as you did last season.

BCK

I did not move. The map was updated. Basically Ohio use to be a zone 5 mostly with a zone 6 in the south. Now all of Ohio is a zone 6. Also I haven't kept any CPs outdoors yet but since this is considered a new climate I was wondering if it would be ok to bring the plants outdoors for winter. I figure I don't want to go through the trouble of planting them in a bog to have to dig them back out again before I go to school.

Back