What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon

fre8train

BANNED
I have a Green dragon that is flowering, there is two flower stalks; they are both done flowering and I am waiting for the seed to ripen but one of them turned into a new plant with its roots being the mother, 12 inches above the mother. new baby sized traps are producing where there used to be a flower. Just a flower stalk down to the center for a root system. Has anybody heard of this. It seems the plant is climbing twards the skylight. The plant also stopped producing traps which is making me wonder if the plant is going to die putting all of its strength into the new baby plant. Is there any way to remove the baby plant without killing it. Or will the plant continue to grow like a vine, flowering next year another 12 inches closer to the light, then producing traps instead of seeds making it 24 inches above the grow medium. thanks

JOe

Isn't there a pic of that phenomenon in Savage Garden?

THe process is called "false vivipary" (less correctly "vegetative apomixis"). Take a look at the heading "False vivipary" which has 5 links to photos at
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

Simply snip or carefully break the baby plant from the flower stalk and plant in normal VFT soil as you would any division. It will grow into a normal plant that is genetically identical to the parent.

Do you know what the url is of this pic. or if the plant has a high rate of dying from this phenomenon. Thanks JOe

those are some great links. thanks.Well that third one is a prime example of mine Ill try to take a picture of it and then maby ill have the sixth spot under the false vivipary section. Do you know if the old growth dies or does it keep growing also. Id like to leave it there it looks nice, but not if it is going to kill the mother plant.

Back