What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering vft pics

So I'm brand new to caring for VFTs and I didn't know that letting it flower might jeapordize a plant that is in less-than-prime condition. I live in Seattle where the lack of light and dry indoor conditions certainly present a challenge... however the flowers are quite beautiful so I thought I'd put up a few pics!

Here are the buds the morning the first flower opened:
VFT_Buds1.jpg

And here's the flower:
VFT_Flower1.jpg

Here's the rest of the plant -- it seems pretty happy so far. If the stress of flowering and seed production were to tax it, at what stage would I expect it to show distress?
VFT_Trap3.jpg

All images copyright Taylor 2004

darn that is pretty.. how long or when should I expect for my vft's to flower?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kendogg @ May 22 2004,11:41)]darn that is pretty.. how long or when should I expect for my vft's to flower?
They are pretty, but they're small and short-lived compared to the traps. Had I known the downside of allowing it to flower, I would have trimmed that sucker in favor of more plant growth throughout the warm season.

Live and learn... I just hope the plant lives! So far it seems pretty happy.

The Plant looks great. Why don't you just leave the whole plant outside? I would think that it would be perfect since the Humidity is constantly high and there isn't too little or too much light.

Some store person told me that vft's flower can be 8 different colors... true or false? so far I've only ever seen white.

As far as I know, VFT flowers come in white, white, or white. I have never heard of a VFT flower being anything but one of those three colors
smile_n_32.gif

BCK

Spray paint the flowers
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif
I wish mine would flower, looks healthy enough + I want seeds! Plus the traps are getting so big that its beginning to frighten me
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
(remember this is a typical I'm talking about)

Welcome to the forums and nice plants dude!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Jason

Ps.your plants look healhy enough to flower but since I have no experience in this I suggets you go ask an expert (eg. D.muscipula - yes that's his real name)
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

You can always tie-dye them or do like one kid did - paint faces on them. As I recall, that topic had a pretty good ride on the forums.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ May 27 2004,1:43)]As far as I know, VFT flowers come in white, white, or white.  I have never heard of a VFT flower being anything but one of those three colors
smile_n_32.gif

BCK
Steve, you forgot light alabaster and ecru!
smile.gif

I've had them flower in the following colors: achromatic, achromic, alabaster, ashen, blanched, bleached, bloodless, Caucasian, chalky, fair, frosted, ghastly, hoary, immaculate, ivory, light, milky, neutral, pallid, pasty, pearly, pure, snowy, stainless, unblemished, unsullied, wan, waxen

smile_n_32.gif

No fair - you have an internet dictionary! Gotta admire the creativity!

Ah ha! Apparently no one looks at their VFT flowers closely enough. The 'Red Dragon' flower has a distinctly red stigma.
VFTreddragonF1044.jpg

Back