What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus flytrap saves the day...

Today I was walking through a statepark . Specifically their wetlands looking for S. Purpurea and various other carnivorous plants. To make a long story short i didn't find any. However tonight I was watching TVand my leg started itching. I had a tick on there. NO insect tries to reverse the food chain on me! So I decided to reverse the food chain on him. it was funny because when I picted him up with tweezers he played dead which made it all the more easy to place him in a trap. I had a grin from ear to ear as I watched him start to move his legs. Then his fate was sealed as the trap quickly shut arround him. The plants are finally starting to pay their dues around here by working for me...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]NO insect tries to reverse the food chain on me!
sound like you were trying to eat the tick in the first place! Must've been a really tiny trap...cool!
biggrin.gif

Oh no I wouldn't bother eating that piddly little tick. it's just the fact that i could seeing as I am at the top of the food chain. He should respect muh authority!

Lol. Yo de boss around here eh? Ha i do that to. Nice story.
cool.gif

Nice. I can't wait until I get a tick. I've been walking in tall grass in shorts for a few days now!
laugh.gif

You gotta make examples of the insects who don't respect your authority. I have a policy, an insect trespassing on my premises carries a penalty of death by plant consumption! That'll teach them!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Warlock @ May 23 2004,4:56)]Nice. I can't wait until I get a tick. I've been walking in tall grass in shorts for a few days now!
laugh.gif
thats a bit derranged....lol

Check this out from last spring.....the engorged tick had fallen off my Father In Law's German Shepard.

200306-CP-D.muscipula-feeding%20on%20blood%20engorged%20tick-animated-WBM.gif

Poor thing - the german shepard I mean...
Bill, exactly how BIG was the tick. It don't look like any I've seen b4, looks pregnant. Hehe I just fed one to my capillaris, from my maltese - highly nutrious! Fulla blood...urgh
smile_t_32.gif

Dude why would you want to get a tick? For the sake of your plants? That's too darn deranged...
smile_m_32.gif
can ticks pass diseases? You better hope not...
cool.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 29 2004,6:21)]Dude why would you want to get a tick? For the sake of your plants? That's too darn deranged...
smile_m_32.gif
can ticks pass diseases?
I think so. Some pretty grisly ones, at that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stevie D @ May 29 2004,5:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 29 2004,6:21)]Dude why would you want to get a tick? For the sake of your plants? That's too darn deranged...
smile_m_32.gif
can ticks pass diseases?
I think so. Some pretty grisly ones, at that.
They can pass lyme's disease which can be fatal. Be careful and I reccomend wearing pants with the cuffs tucked into your socks. The ticks will still climb on you but won't be able to bite you

Good idea...anyone for experimenting?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

OMG!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I almost fainted when I saw that, but...its a tick! Over a bloody CENTIMETER LONG!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
It looked like a beetle when I saw it on the wall, but as I looked closely I recognised it had the undeniably similar features of the above on the 1st post of this topics! Bloody H*ll...that is by far the biggest tick I have ever seen in my life - 1.5cm long! I didn't want to feed it to my VFT as I thought the eggs would spill out and hatch into 1000s of baby ticks, a gruesome scene indeed. Thank you to you Bill, it was your pic that helped me identify the tick, but without it I still wouldn't have mistaken it. :shivers: And to think I would have let the 'cute beetle' get away...Its eyes were red balls,  and it had a black and squashy 'meaty' looking body. Hmmm, my mum tried to burn it (I'm convinced that's teh only way to take care of a tick once and for all (I remember once another of my dogs had so many ticks that we had to organise a cremation of the hundreds in a mosquito coil, sort of like a huge bonfire with us dancing around it singing tribal songs...
smile_n_32.gif
But this time, my mother almost set the house on fire, starting with the bathroom, dangit...the tick escaped by falling into the loo, but I dang well hope its permanently impaled and can't lay eggs no more...
mad.gif

That was a few days ago, but today my mum found a slighty smaller, 1cm tick about half the top section of your pinky, shoot, I would have cremated it...now I'm getting really scared, that could mean ticks in the whateva numbers with so many 00000s behind it...I don't know how we could have bred such huge ticks in our house without us finding out when they walking all over the place, must have stepped on a few at least, well I did feed a baby one to my filiformis...I suppose we have to take more powerful chemical measures next time, which is bad since my dog is about to get pregnant, after that then its war...
mad.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Ticks can pass diseases?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Extreme measure are in order - Ok, time to fumigate my house...
smile_m_32.gif
I've been feeling a little itchy round my legs these pass few days...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Jason
smile_n_32.gif

I fed my vft a tick the other day! I know, i'm derranged, but who isn't? It wasn't engorged, but it sure was a sweet feeling!
biggrin.gif

Uh oh.....you gave it blood, now it wall crave it like on Little Shop of Horrors!

Our dogs here get ticks here that are 1/2 inch and above when they are "full" of blood from our dogs. We got Frontline now though, so they leave our dogs alone
smile.gif

If you really want a tick, walking through the brush is the best way to find one
smile.gif

Back