What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is it...

• Thread starter Junieman
  • Start date
Hello everyone

I would like to know if anyone knows where I could find some live moss for a top dressing.

Thanks in advanced
smilie4.gif

You must be looking for sphagnum moss. They sell it at Sarracenia Northwest. The is a very reliable place to shop. I buy from them often. ^_^

Can you buy it from seed? or sphores or whateva?

All the spag ive found is like really dead...
smile_h_32.gif

the rockcap and fern mosses are sold in approx sq ft sheets - its live and can be put right on the soil surface of your terrarium/vivarium. The cushion moss is in 0.25 sqft clumps - "cushions" We dont sell moss from seed however the starter pack is dormant moss of each type in a sealed pack -- just put into your tank wet it down and make sure it gets some light and it should come out of dormancy.

hope that helps.

Is Cushion Moss (Leucobryum) compatible with my Carniverous plants? Would it survive here in Lauderdale. I grow my CPs outdoors under 70% shade screen (12 hours of sun at this time of year) and they do quite well.

Sphagnum moss is the recommended moss for use with CPs. It provides the right acidity for the plants without crowding them out of the pot like carpet moss can.

smile.gif

BCK

I would avoid any use of carpet moss with CP species! Most of my efforts are spent on removing and preventing the miserable stuff! If you want to use live moss, it needs to be Sphagnum.

Oook, where can I get live Sphagnum William.  I know there was a thread about that quite a while ago but I can't find it.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ May 27 2004,2:02)]Sphagnum moss is the recommended moss for use with CPs.  It provides the right acidity for the plants without crowding them out of the pot like carpet moss can.

smile.gif

BCK
...with the exception of slow growing species?
smile_m_32.gif

I've tried growing LFS again and again, don't know why it'll never grow for me, althought I doubt its the singaporean environment - my bro grew it b4, plus outdoors cp growers like Hong Yee grow it...outdoors ppl always have the benifit
mad.gif
cool.gif
(singapore copies the LFSs natural habitat - blasting strong sun, humid etc), so it must be my care. Does algae/moss/mould growth stop live LFS from growing? Because I bought the *best* quality - New Zealand LFS, and it still won't grow. I'm gonna blast it with so much light its gonna fry...
Yeh I learnt my lesson not to buy second hand LFS, twice as much algae grew as the moss...no, wait a minute...oh yeah the moss DID'NT GROW AT ALL Grrr...
mad.gif

Why the fuss about carpet mozz, does it produce alkaline juices? Lecture time, Tamlin...
smile_m_32.gif
smilie4.gif

Jason

Back