What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separation

• Thread starter Warlock
  • Start date
I want to split my vfts apart, but I don't know when I should do this. Is there a certain time of year I should separate?

Hey Warlock,

I THINK this should be done right before they wake up from dormancy for best results. I also THINK you can do it any time, really, but if done durring active growth, the plants will experience shock, and might not look so hot until next season.

If they make it at all.

The general consensus is to wait until after dormancy, but right before they wake up. Honestly if you have an extra plant, try it out.
smile.gif
Otherwise wait a little.

Usually it depends on the rhizome as well. Size does help.

If you do choose to divide during active growth, try not to break the growth point (if there's only one), and try to get at least some roots on each section. You'll get a better idea staring at the rhizome. Think along the lines of garlic.

On the other hand, leaf cuttings also work well once you get the hang of it.

Sounds like the sort of advice given on the propogation by division of most plants.

These VFTs ain't as exotic as they like to think.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Back