What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dirt in trap

hi all
in
replanting my new vft i got a little dirt in some traps
they closed tight will this hurt or kill the traps
what do i do
thanks for all your kind help
eddy

They should reopen within a day, and then you can try washing the dirt out, or just leave it be.

No it won't hurt the plant.

Whadaya mean 'tight'. Is there still gaps in between the teeth or is the mouth completely sealed. I'm not sure disgesting soil could have any bad effects on a VFT (it darn well may have), but I don't know what they are (maybe just wasting its energy in producing digestive fluids + unless the dirt contains minerals, then you might have a problem), but other than that I don't think there leaves any cause to worry.

BTW I think there may be minerals in soil becuz I've seen people (Guiness world records) live of soil before. Experiment time!
smile_m_32.gif
No, and I don't mean only the VFT one...
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
cool.gif

Well, I don't think dirt in the traps will hurt anything. After all, if you grow you VFT's outside, and they get rained on, dirt oftern splashes into traps. I've never really had a problem from it.

thank tou all i just didnt know i feel better but have any of you had all the traps turn black and die and the plant still make it??
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I think that you are worrying too much. These plants are really much hardier then you really think they are, so just give it time and they'll start to look like monsters soon. So a dying trap is nothing to worry about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (now_what_do_i_need @ May 28 2004,6:32)]thank tou all  i just didnt know  i feel better but have any of you had all the traps turn black and die and the plant still make it??
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Yup, I've had 4 VFTs that survived accidental freezing - and that's freezing the root mass rock-hard and everything. Of those 4, I have 1 which survived being burned alive in a greenhouse-based blunder involving candles. That 1 plant lost all its foliage and bounced back this year strong as ever - nice, crisp spring growth; deepest red colourations it's ever given off; traps and feeds like a good 'un.
smile_l_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

Do you think I should try sulphuric acid or electrodes next? (j/k)
smile_m_32.gif

Yeah, you should see mine...at least I've got more live ones than dead though. Just a question, should I trim off the dead leaves or let nature take its path, I think they starting to grow mould on top'o them.
Hehe good thing I grow my plants outside, no need to worry about rain and dirt in traps (unless I water it which can often be equalitive to the strength of natural forces...
smile_m_32.gif
)

Stevie, you torturer you...whadaya tryin' to do to those poor plants, huh? Copy Charles Darwin?
smile_n_32.gif
BTW that's artifical + you can be put in jail under the 'cp right' act, heh heh.
laugh.gif
cool.gif

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just a question, should I trim off the dead leaves or let nature take its path, I think they starting to grow mould on top'o them.
I think I would. So far as I know, dead leaves are as harmless as they are useless, unless they start attracting mould, which can spread to the good, green growth.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Stevie, you torturer you...whadaya tryin' to do to those poor plants, huh? Copy Charles Darwin?
smile_n_32.gif
BTW that's artifical + you can be put in jail under the 'cp right' act, heh heh.
laugh.gif
cool.gif
They'll never take me alive!! *jumps into VFT*

Back