What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barefoot plant

I was looking at the barefoot VFT and was wondering was that a good idea to purchase, i have a pot big enough to add another VFT so should i buy it or get one in a pot

Which is a better plant the red dragon or the green dragon?

You mean bareroot...man do I love these spelling errors!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
ok enough

Depends, if you are newbiestic (no offense here) and want to start off easier, then I say start of with the typical (is the typical a greendragon?)
confused.gif
Oh becuz I was going to say that the red dragon is maybe for a little more experience (again no offense) and a wider variety of cps...and are willing to try a more difficult plant, but now I'm getting confused (sorry to make you too), but is the greendragon a typical, and the red dragon a 'red piranha' or a 'Akai Ryu" or none of them? Personally I've never heard of a 'red dragon' b4...
confused.gif

There is no difference in my opinion.The red types require more sunlight to maintain the colour.The greendragon is not the typical VFT. The typical form has red traps and green leaves.Most of the year, the traps hug the ground.In summer they get bigger and narrower and no longer hug the ground.There is also a cultivar where the traps hug the ground all year. That cultivar is called "red rosseted"

a green dragon and a red dragon are different plants. they are both cultivers and, if i remember correctly, the green dragon was created by petflytrap/exotic gardens, and the red dragon was created by the atlanta botanical gardens. neither the red dragon or the green dragon are the same as a common venus fly trap.

personally, my green dragon is now my favorite vft. it's very robust, and has great color, even when growing inside my terrarium. i don't have any red dragon's, so i can comment on those.

if you're just starting out, i would suggest going with a plant already potted, as i have better luck with pre-potted vft's.

good luck and happy growing!
tech...

When I said no difference I meant in growing conditions!!
I know the plants are different.

I would reccomend the Dente out of all three available on this website. It's the plant that is most robust and makes big traps. I reccomend the prepotted for newbies, but if you want to save money bareroot plants should do fine if you know how to pot plants and what type of soils they need.

Back