What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft split question.

OK, I discovered my vft has a new growth spot, jus ourside the original rosette.
My question is; will it automatically separate completely from its mother plant, or will it more likely stick to it if i leave it there?

Thanks /Quensel

Welcome to de forums, and congrats on your, uhm, new baby!?!
smile_n_32.gif

I could think the bulb would stick to the parent for nutrition, and then split when it gets older, though I could be wrong. De baby can't really support itself yet, so I advise you not to divide it, if the mother's petioles are cramin' it then move them and hold them in place with a little LFS (Just passing on the exact words of what some kind person in this community told me a few months ago)
cool.gif

If you want to propagate you can see here:

Make more VFT's

You can also see the 2 pinned topics at the top of this page for more info and on general care of VFTs (Man I'm getting bored of using that phrase...)
smile_n_32.gif

You're lucky you joined this wonderful community...
smile.gif

Hope that helps,
Jason

Ps. My VFTs already got 2 babies and my bro's is a forest, just becuz we didn't care for splitting the babies out...
smile_m_32.gif
Anyone know whether a bigger pot will promote division of the bulb? Becuz my VFT started dividing after I upgraded its pot to a bigger one, as if its desperate or somethin'...
smile_n_32.gif

I also heard that if you keep the VFT in a small pot it will grow bigger leaves/traps and if you don't it will put its energy into producing babies, anyone know whether this is true or false?
confused.gif

I'm not planning on dividing them, as I'd really like having a 'sea of fangs' type of plant, they just look awesome!!

I've also noted that there is a new plant of some kind growing about an inch off from the main one.
Dunno if its a vft, or some other plant, as it has no carnivorous leaves yet, only the 2 'heart leaves' (dunno if theyre called that in english, I just translated directly what theyre called in swedish)

/Quensel

It might be a VFT.When my sarracenia pssitaccina was germinating,it didnt produce pitchers straight away, it produced 2 oval no-carnivorous leaves.The pitchers came a little bit later.:p

Oh, cool, I'll definately prop the leaves up that are on top of the new plantlet then...

May get my sea of fangs yet... har har har!!
mad.gif

P.S Thats you right, Dino? Welcome!

/Quensel

Welcome to the forums, DIno...You two know each other? Its cool how so many starters always push each other to join - surge in the population of cps heh heh.

Oh right, back to the question: I think the offshoot of the VFT might be a VFT, with traps so small you can't see them yet, or it might be a trap which got ripped of or eaten (don't mean to discourage you), but it might also incredibly excitingly, be a weed
blues.gif
. However, since it has the heart-shaped leaves...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

I shouldn't think its a fallen-off trap, as the entire thing is like 2-3 mm across... its also a rather dark green, so maybe its just a weed then... Oh, well, time will tell.
confused.gif

/Quensel

It is me!I am Dino!And I do know mannannan!
By the way, VFT seedlings are VERY SMALL.Gues you will have to wait and see if it is a VFT or a weed!

If its a plant then it shouldn't be that small - it would already developed from the bulb and be of reasonable size before shooting above ground, now, VFT seedlings from seed, now that's small!
smile_m_32.gif

It could be a blladerwort.Or a weed.

Back