What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Th what's your favorite venus flytrap cultivar?

Like the tittle says.  Here are the ones I found, if you have anymore, feel free to add it on -

1) D. "Giant"  It's the plant that I have so far that makes consistantly big traps.  Very slow grower though...

2) D. Red Piranha I just recently recieved this plants, and so far it looks like  a vigorous plant with dente traits but retains a solid red color

3) D. Fused Tooth  Not my favorite, but a great  plant that has fused teeth. Slow grower, and they can't eat bugs...

4) D. Dentate Awesome plant with big traps, my first carnivorous plant

5) D. Green Dragon a great plant with big traps, and they have a solid red color with no green at all in strong sunlight

6) D. Akai Ryu is a red plant except with less vigor, but produces bigger traps then the Green Dragon

7) D. Typical a great plant, but it's hard to say the characteristics, because all of them are different

8) D. Cup Trap I've personally never grew this plant so I don't know much info about it. All I know is that the sides of the traps come together

9) D. South West Giant A plant that makes big traps, never grew it before too, but I heard it's hard to take care of

10) D. Big Mouth this plant produces big traps on short leaves. I don't own this plant yet

11) D. Clumping Cultivar As its name states

12) D. "Jaws"

13) D. "Red Rossetted"

14) D. Royal Red Another vigorous red variety

15) D. Sawtooth

Whats your Pick? Mine is the D. Long Red Fingers (A Fused Tooth with more red pigments on the fangs and traps)

add 3 more to the list and I will turn it into a poll for you.

Just a note though.. #6 Akai Ryu is not the same as green dragon. Akai Ryu has much more red. I would also combine the giant clones into a single catagory.

Tony

Also note that "Dente" is incorrect usage. The registered cultivarname is 'Dentate'.

I don't think Green Dragon is registered, and I know "Long Fingers" isn't. Not sure about "Typical" and "Giant" but I think not.

You can check for legitimate cultivar names by punching in Dionaea muscipula here:

http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

Ok, I fixed all the bugs

Actually if you closely check out
http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi
you will discover the established name for those dentate/dente cultivars is not 'Dentate' or 'Dente' but Dionaea 'Dentate Traps' (B.Meyers-Rice). Also, adding to the confusion, there is a German clone called “Dentata” (fine tooth) which appears to be the same as the ‘Sawtooth’ clone.

I say D. Fused Tooth, because iot's really vicious looking...does anyone know if they close?

In my experience while trying to feed them bugs, they close but their cross teeths don't allow them to make a digestive seal, so they can close but can't digest the insect.

Back