What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft pests

This is my first posting, but I've been lurking around this forum for the last 9 months. There are so many knowledgeable individuals here that I figured someone will know about these pests I'm seeing on my VFTs.

I've had my three VFTs for almost a year now and they seem much healthier now than when I got them from Home Depot. They've been living outside year 'round here in the San Francisco Bay Area. The only problem is that in the last couple of months I have noticed some strange little bugs roaming around in my sandy peat moss. They are about the size of a small flea, but they are tan in color and have little horizontal stripes on them. The body shape is kind of oblongish with a pointy rear section. They look like they just crawl around pretty fast, but if you go to squish them, they'll actually jump. And they jump pretty far for something so darn little.

So, does anyone know what these things are and if I should do anything about them?

I have noticed that my Dentate has a number of leaves that have sprouted up that have no trap on them. I don't know if there is any relationship, but if anyone knows what would cause that, I'll take that answer here as well.

Thanks.

SanRamonVFT

lol, lucky u, theyre springtails!!!
theyre great food for pings and other sticky CPs, and they eat any decomposing debris, making it easy on your part
biggrin.gif

very lucky they taken roost in your pots, theyre no trouble at all to CP's
Best Wishes,
Hellz

Oh crap. I had them, but I think I scared them away . Is there any way to attract them?

umm... idk, but if u get them, u are lucky!!!

Thanks for the info Hellz.

I just did a search on the springtails and the pictures and description seem to match up.

I guess I'll have to quit squishing them now.
smile.gif

SanRamonVFT

Lucky you. If you'll excuse me, I have to get back to squishing the aphids (looks at deformed VFT traps) shudder...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back