What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ack!  deformed traps...

^ actually, ants nuture and farm aphids in a smiliar way that we farm cows. They like the honeydew aphids produce after they feed.

I still don't see anything wrong with plant enough to worry about. You will not get a perfectly formed trap 100% of the time. All kinds of things can affect that...temps, weather, injury, etc. Just because a trap has a slight difference from another doesn't mean its "Panic!--Its deformed". Now if all or most of the traps were forming with oddities, that would be a different matter.

Don't know what kind of aphids you get, but here in good ol' Virginny you can SEE aphids. If you REALLY think its a pest problem, submerge your flytrap in water for a day or so. That will drown any living critters. And yes you can submerge your plant without harm.

Don't worry! The plant looks fine.

Thanks - I'm sure it will be fine. I'm just keeping a watch on it, tho'... =P

Aphid infestation? Heck no. If there were aphids attacking the leaves they would be looking ALOT worse (bumpy and all curled up super deformed).

When I cut my flower stalks the plants usually go into this super phase of growing all big and fast and often times it looks like they are growing "too fast" for themselves to keep up with, leaving a few of the traps not looking "perfect" (although I think these ones sometimes look pretty cool).

If you had an aphid infestation your leaves would seriously be looking ALOT worse.

To me, it doesn't look like any aphid attack... this happens to my plants all the time after they've been transplanted or have had stress in one form or another. If it was an aphid attack then I think you could see them since it takes ALOT of them to do some type of damage. Starman, you have to think out of the box at times and not always point your fingers in one direction
smile_m_32.gif

I would just let the Venus Flytrap grow some more leaves and see what happens.
If it actually is aphids then buy some sort of pesticide, I use neem oil to kill any insects or such. I highly doubt that it is aphids though. They would be all over your plants. If it is some type of bug I would have to say mites which neem oil kills pretty well.

The deformation depends on how bad the ahid attack is.

Back