What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ack!  deformed traps...

Greetings, all!

After one of my VFTs started to send up a flower stalk, I cut it off when it reached about 3 inches.  Since then, it has sent up 2 new traps and both are deformed =(

Any ideas as to what's going on or how to fix it?  This particular VFT gets just as much light as my other ones, yet this one is the only one that has deformed traps.

Here are some photos (will open in a new window):
Photo of the plant
Different view of one of the deformed traps

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Oh dear, looks like aphid dmamage. They attack developing leaves, then leave when the leaves begin to develop. Moniter newly developing leaves closely{use a magnifing glass} If you spot any aphids, wipe them off with you finger or use an insectide.
Note: some insectides are poisonous to VFTs, so look in a book or search the web to find out which insectides are suitible
Happy growing!
Dino

I have had this happen after cutting flower stalks, and recently after a VERY HEAVY thunderstorm. I would say to let it grow, if in 3 or 4 new traps their still deformed it may be a sign of an Aphid problem.

If you ask me, you are very lucky. Most people dont notice the problem untill the traps come REALLY de-formed and ugly.

I usually check on my VFTs once or twice a day, so if stuff looks weird I usually catch it. Anyway, thanks for the tips - I'll definitly look out for the Aphids. =(

Any idea of what they look like? I've never had infestation problems before...

Thanks again!

they're little green buggers, look for them around the newly developing leaves. I'm having a bit of the same problem myself, unfortunately I didn't have your foresight and several leaves came up QUITE hideous. I think I've found and destroyed 3-4 of the little buggers. Too bad ladybugs are powerless to stop aphids on CPs...

Ah, not all of them are green. They can be red or white asswell.

I think the plant looks pretty healthy. The fact that the trap has a slight deviation from what's "typical" doesn't really mean anything. I was expecting to see some horrible deformity. Any of a number of things could have caused that from just a little genetic kink to a slight injury while forming.

I don't see any sign of pests. Quite frankly I wouldn't worry about it unless every trap starts coming out grossly malformed.

I think your plant is fine.
smile.gif

Well, you would not see any pests because aphid only attack newly developing leaves.

Well Im not sure about anyone elses neck of the woods but here aphids arent microscopic and would easily be seen in the pic.
It wouldnt hurt to look of course, but Im with Suzanne on this one. If aphids were on there they woulda left the trap and leaf bumpy, twisted and horribly mishapen. That just looks like a normal deformity traps get from time to time to make you apreciate the perfectly shapen ones more.

Like I said, the aphids clear off when the leaf begins to fully develop!!

Then we should be able to see them on the new leaves in the pic, right?

I agree they would also be visible in the pic. Unless there were only a few(which would only stay like that for a few days) we would see them in the pic.

Well, I remember seeing just one or two little tiny green buggy thingies that were slightly larger than a large grain of sand on the plant before (I didn't really think anything of it - I thought it could make for plant food =D), so I don't think I should rule out the Aphid possibility...

Right now, my plan of action is to keep a close watch on it and see if I find more of these little bugs.  I can understand one deformed trap once in a while, but there were 2 deformed traps right after another, so I'll just keep looking.

Green bugies?! They are aphids!!!! And flytraps never catch aphids, they are too smart and dont go near a fully developed trap. I was right all along!
P.S
There are also worm like white bugs, they are aphids asswell.
Thre are also big, fat red ones. If you see anithing on a developing leaf, wipe it off or use a insectide.

Plants looks healthy apart from the fact that its got deformed leaves
smile_n_32.gif
and only a few leaves...where's the second one? I don't see much deformed with it, what's wrong with it? One of my leaf petioles came up a different shape too, maybe something wrong with the bulb in that area, or the overall genetics of the plant. That's interesting, why do aphids clear off when the leaf becomes fully developed. What they scared of adult leaves or what?
smile_n_32.gif

Maybe the fact that its been flowerin' has something to do with it, maybe it mess up the part of the bulb the flower was emerging from - or maybe it used up its energy reserves and can't formed normal traps or somethin', now, thunderstorms, that could be a problem...
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

They are round/oval shaped, often fat. The white ones look like worms.

aphids are usually a light "hulk" green in colour and very tiny.  I usually pick them off with a toothpick and feed them to the nearest trail of ants.  That'll teach them not to mess with me
smile_m_32.gif

Back