What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have an idea....

Today, I noticed sticky spots on the outside of some of my traps. I realized that it is sugar water from the hummingbird feeder almost directly above my plant. Does anyone think that adding sugar water onto the traps will attract more insects? It seems like a good idea to me!
smile.gif

Dont vfts produce some kinda nectar in the 'fold' of the traps to attract prey?

Yes, but I thought that maybe some extra sugar will entice more insects. I don't think it could hurt, and hopefully it will work.

Could work... Unfortunately I only have a single vft as of now, so I dont think I'll try it meself just yet
smile_m_32.gif

instead of sugar, u can try water u cook hotdogs and other meat in, it could prob attract flys and wasps
biggrin.gif

I do not think this will work.
Reason: because VFTs produce special scents and nectar that attracts insects. Have you heard of the rafflesians plant? It produces specific aroma and nectar to attract flies
If you put the sugary stuff on it, it may actually discourage flies.

I'd like to believe the VFT nectar produced through evolution is more likely to attract the kind of bugs that VFTs like than sugar water.

May I volunteer my dog for the soil?

Yah,But the plant would die!
confused.gif

just buy that one scent "essence of poo" and put it near your traps

I don't need to add anything to my plants to get them to attract prey, they do it very well on their own. Also, I like knowing I am seeing the real attraction thing happening. Actually, I wish the bugs would leave some of the traps alone, so I could occasionally see one open!

I know, blend the poop first, then extract the essence by filtering, then add sewage waste and P!$$...sounds gross? Try it and you'll faint b4 you even see what you making!
laugh.gif
Yes and dog poop contains fertilizer so don't even think of it, the poor VFT!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Have you heard of the rafflesians plant? It produces specific aroma and nectar to attract flies

Starman: where you talking about the plant that releases a smell similar to that of rotting flesh? I've heard its fatal, some ppl got too close and fainted
laugh.gif

Jason
smile_n_32.gif

Oh, you must be talking about the rafflesiana!(I think thats how you say it aniway) The rafflesiana has the largest flower in the world. The flower produces horrible smells like rotting flesh to attract flies(presumably for pollination) Flies are even sometimes found living or breeding in the flowers! disgusting! So you see, flies LOVE horrible smells and horrible tasting nectar! So if you put sugar in them, it will probbably discourage the flies because they are not very fond on sugar.:)

Thats Rafflesia, starman
smile_m_32.gif

The sugar would not attract flies, but ants... too small for VFTs anyways...

I heard the rafflesia flower is only 3 feet across?
confused.gif
How does that compare to the 6 foot tall amorphophallus titanum? Why isnt that the largest in the world?
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I've seen them both listed as the world's largest flower, my theory is that they are measuring height on one and width on the other - or it could just be propaganda from fans of each flower.

I think buster 1 is correct.

Back