Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some questions....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case they seem to be suffering a little shock. I didn't change their environment, just the soil. I've had this terrarium for about a year now. I thought you were supposed to plant them in peat moss, sand, and some potting soil. I know now that venus fly traps don't like potting soil. So now I repotted it and while I was at it, ordered a couple sundews to go in there with them. So the only shock they are suffering right now is that they were out of dirt for a while. And I suppose the soil is different now too. But I did give them some SUPERThrive, so hopefully that will help them out a little bit. They have been planted for about a week now, and they look alot better, but they still don't seem to be growing as fast as usual. Hopefully that will get back to normal, or better!
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As several people have said, you do not HAVE to have VFTs in a terrarium if you are going for high humidity. They don't need it the way some other CPs do. One of the problems with terrariums is air circulation. As long as you have good air cirulation in the tank, they should be ok. Without that, you will get mold and fungus eventually. Also you can get heat build-up in the tank if the sun is shining on it.

If you have your plants potted and in a saucer or tray and kept wet, you shouldn't have humidity issues. I've found my VFTs do much better potted and kept outdoors where they are closer to what's natural enviroment for them.

But you CAN grow them in a terrarium if you like.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother had a venus fly trap that seemed to love humidity. He had 3" domed pot on it, and kept the cover on, and kept it in the sun. It got too big for the domed pot fairly quickly, and then he bought a large clear glass vase to cover it. He left the vase covering the plant and humidity built up quite a bit. The plant grew to be huge! I don't think it even had much air flow at all in there. So.......like has been mentioned earlier, you just have to find out what works for you.
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123