What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little help to a newb

oh yeah, My VFT ate my nieghbor yesterday
smile_o_32.gif
the whole thing!!

thankfully It doesn't know theres a lot more neighbors where that one came from
smile_k_ani_32.gif

but what if it waiting waiting then snap there gose another and another untill youve got no neighboughs left and it turns on you
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

yes i am parinoied[is that how you spell]
smile_n_32.gif

No, it fears me because i have a little something called tap water >;-D . And no you spelled it wrong
smile_n_32.gif

ah its one weekness
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

where did i put that dictionary[hopfully spelt right]
smile_n_32.gif

Actually, Venus Flytraps can make it fine without having dormacy for eight months.  And to back it up I currently have three plants that I bought in the end of fall for winter growing and it's still outside making almost 1 inch traps right now... Many other people just give them dormacy every other year, like how Dean does sometimes.  The main thing is to fool them and not give them cold weather and they'll still grow fine for a few more months.  So, I have to agree with PlantaKiss on this one... Starman, I remember a year back when I was just like you I spent hours just researching about these plants and every little info that was printed on the website I though was right, and preeched it to.  Well, after a while the plants started to decline, and ALOT of my plants died by following everyones EXACT conditions so I just experimented.  It took a while, but now I tweeked most of my conditions to suit my area.  
Like for example, some who lives in Louisiana only gives their plants only four or six hours of direct sunlight aday, since their postion on the earth makes the sunlight alot stronger then say here in Michigan I give all my plants twelve or even more hours of direct sunlight.  That just goes to show you that someones growing conditions doesn't exactly match your...  So even Peter D'amato's growing conditions wouldn't give you the best growing condtions either. (This rule applies to outdoor plants, Neps and other terrainium plants are a different story)

peter i know books dont work for everyone but ive seen his vft and is probaly the best one ive ever seen
smile_n_32.gif

books usally dont work for the peole who cant reed
smile_n_32.gif

sorry i just thought say that no disrespect to the illiterets
smile_o_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
i bet ive speled somthing wrong.
smile_h_32.gif

dont,ive,probaly,ive, again!,usally,dont, again!,peole,reed,i,illiterets,i,ive,speled. Those are all the words you spelled wrong, hmmmm, thats uhhhh,13 spelled wrong, your lucky #!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

*cough* Stubborn Newbies *cough*
smile_k_ani_32.gif
laugh.gif
blues.gif
smile_m_32.gif

oh, oh, why do I bother?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif

Exactly, Peter! I can't believe they dont even heed PAK's advice... shes like the most famous CPer where she lives!
biggrin.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Starman, for my first 2 years of being a CPer, I completely missed dormancy... every single one survived and did well...
smile.gif

Excuse me?! I am NOT a newbie!!
mad.gif

eh.... take a chill pill dude
confused.gif
I'll get back to you later
smile_m_32.gif

I've noticed that you post messages a lot before reading them over... I mean, wtf was with all that you said about hurricanes? What makes you think you're such an expert about them, and VFTs? Do hurricanes even hit the UK? what makes you think VFTs will die no matter what after 8 months without a dormancy? Just because ONE plant died after 8 months without a dormancy doesnt mean it will happen to ALL VFTs...

Here, have the rest of my pink pills... been dieing to get rid of them
confused.gif

I mentioned this earlier, but I will say it again........Even IF a VFT does NOT die after dormacy, WHY take the risk? About the hurricane: Some of us DO read and learn about hurricanes you know!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ June 16 2004,12:20)]I mentioned this earlier, but I will say it again........Even IF a VFT does NOT die after dormacy, WHY take the risk? About the hurricane: Some of us DO read and learn about hurricanes you know!
why take the risk?

Experimentation!! Also, Tissue Cultured VFT's do not require dormancy for the first year. In fact there isnt any noticable decline in a TCed VFT if it misses dormancy for the first year...

Would you mind giving me some sources that say Hurricanes come out of no where? Or about how "Ignorant" it is to have a Hurricane Party? Anyone that said that to you doesn't know anythin about hurricanes
smile_m_32.gif

Maybe I did not put the hurricne thing clear enouth. Whe I said it came out of nowhre, it was from the peoples pint of view. I meant that the hurricane suddenly changed direction and it SEEMED to come out of nowhere.

Oh yeah, this is a VFT forum, should not be talking about hurricanes here......
Can I just finish this debate? All I want to say is the advice I give DOES work, and if you want to follow my advice, thats fine. It worked for me, so I should not see why it should not work for you. If you do not want to follow my advice, then dont. I sort off agree with the not having dormacy debate. True,
the plant MAY NOT die if it misses ONE dormacy, but why take the risk? I am a type of plant grower who takes NO RISKS. If something that may cause my plant to die, then I certanly dont take the risk. I have now said all I can say, and I apologise if I was argumantitive and/or if I offended anybody either in this post, or any other post I posted.
Regards with apologies,
Dino:)

I understand someone like you may not want to take risks, but there are people (like nep gracilis
smile_m_32.gif
) that have a ton of extra plants, and so can experiment with then...

Apology accepted
cool.gif
blues.gif

-Spec

Children, don't make the mods separate you...
smile.gif

Back