What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider mites, how annoying!

I think I have these little buggers. I was watering my plants one morning when I saw a light layer of what looked like a fine webbing on the surface of the moss/perlite mixture of one of my pots. What recommendations do you have to ged rid of these little punks? They're eating my poor plants and I want it to stop. Help? Pesticides?

Orthene maybe?

Spider mites will be found on the upper most portions of your plants. any webbing on the soil serface is not from spidermites. If you have a hand lens, spider mites are typically tan with two red spots (two-spotted mites) or red in color. The best product I have used for spider mites is AVID. If AVID is unavailible in your area, go to a good greenhouse/garden center and look for somthing labled as a miticide.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve L @ June 15 2004,9:17)]Spider mites will be found on the upper most portions of your plants. any webbing on the soil serface is not from spidermites. If you have a hand lens, spider mites are typically tan with two red spots (two-spotted mites) or red in color. The best product I have used for spider mites is AVID. If AVID is unavailible in your area, go to a good greenhouse/garden center and look for somthing labled as a miticide.

Steve
wait a second... they are often seen at the growing point, too!

sevin-5 got rid of them overnight for me
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 15 2004,12:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve L @ June 15 2004,9:17)]Spider mites will be found on the upper most portions of your plants. any webbing on the soil serface is not from spidermites. If you have a hand lens, spider mites are typically tan with two red spots (two-spotted mites) or red in color. The best product I have used for spider mites is AVID. If AVID is unavailible in your area, go to a good greenhouse/garden center and look for somthing labled as a miticide.

Steve
wait a second... they are often seen at the growing point, too!

sevin-5 got rid of them overnight for me
smile.gif
Uh, Spec, Isn't the growing point on the upper most portion of the plant? It is definatly not on the soil surface. Well, except small/young plants... Or those ones that run allong the soil surface....
smile_m_32.gif

I use Orthene 75 SP
Andrew

on a VFT? uh, no
smile_m_32.gif
for VFTs they are at the soil surface

DUMMY!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 16 2004,11:43)]on a VFT? uh, no
smile_m_32.gif

DUMMY!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif
Dude, didn't I say "Well, except small/young plants..."  So, a VFT would be one of the "Small" plants I was refering to.  

Becides, most people can tell all by themselves  if the bugs or webbings are ON the plant or ON the soil surface...  
Andrew
Oh and Spec,
Please be kind on the forum at all times...    
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ June 16 2004,10:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 16 2004,11:43)]on a VFT? uh, no
smile_m_32.gif

DUMMY!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif
Dude, didn't I say "Well, except small/young plants..."  So, a VFT would be one of the "Small" plants I was refering to.  

Becides, most people can tell all by themselves  if the bugs or webbings are ON the plant or ON the soil surface...  
Andrew
Oh and Spec,
Please be kind on the forum at all times...    
smile_m_32.gif
@#%$@$&%&^@#$*#$@#$*#@$@!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
mad.gif

lol j/k

you're n ever nice to me in morse code! guess i gottacritisize you in morse...
smile_l_32.gif

Back