What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightning bugs

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
They're out, now. Are they safe?

I've had very little problems with feeding my VFTs lightning bugs. Just be sure that the bug is not too large for the trap - that's the only problem I've had.

Other than that, they seem like nice juicy guys =D

idk about lightning bugs, they have a bacteria in thier stomach that lights up, so if a VFT ate one, would it glow to?!
biggrin.gif

Hellz

Probably for a while until they die... that would be awesome though.

Somebody should genetically engineer a green bioluminescent VFT!

I once fed my VFT a lightning bug at night and the trap indeed did glow when the bug lit up
biggrin.gif

YOU CRUEL PEOPLE!!!!
mad.gif
Why would you give lighting bugs to VFTs?!
I like lighting bugs, they are peaceful bugs, and they dont spread disease like flies do!

Have you guys seen those genetically modified tobacco plants? They spliced it's genes with a fireflies so it glows.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Poor lightbug..........................
smile_h_32.gif

Death to the Lightning bug! >;-D

Well, we cant help it if our VFTs catch one naturally
biggrin.gif
It woudl be kinda of funny seeing a VFT glow.

Yeah, it would be kinda funny if your plants glowed, just like when you clutch a flashlight bulb in your hand, the light kinda filters through your skin, Wierd
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I was wondering why there were 11 replies to this topic. Now I know - it took on a life of its own.
biggrin.gif
I'm not conducting any experiments with regard to luminescence. I just wanted to know if they will have any problems with them, considering the glowworms are out and about.

Sry jim, got a lil carried away
biggrin.gif

i dont c y not, try em if u want, just tell us if it glows
smile_n_32.gif

Hellz

I fed my Nep a lightning bug, it seems to have digested it just fine.
I don't have any VFTs though

Joe

there was an auction awhile ago for a really rare genetically engineered orchid (i think it was a catt) that was bioluminescent.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Have you guys seen those genetically modified tobacco plants? They spliced it's genes with a fireflies so it glows.

laugh.gif
Does anyone remember the Simpsons episode where they made tomacco? Well, it actually inspired some guy to make a tomacco plant in real life, I read about it maybe a half year ago or so.
laugh.gif
Anyone seen those engineered bioluminescent fish?

Back to the topic at hand, Jim, why don't you let us know how it works out, it could have some interesting results besides the special effects
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ June 17 2004,7:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Have you guys seen those genetically modified tobacco plants? They spliced it's genes with a fireflies so it glows.

laugh.gif
 Does anyone remember the Simpsons episode where they made tomacco?  Well, it actually inspired some guy to make a tomacco plant in real life, I read about it maybe a half year ago or so.  
laugh.gif

Back to the topic at hand, Jim, why don't you let us know how it works out, it could have some interesting results besides the special effects  
smile_n_32.gif
there are bioluminscent fish that are completely natural... the ones you see are pet stores has nothing to do with genes... they just take the fish out of water, stick a needle in its gut, and fill it with bioluminescent material... The fish die a few weeks/months later
smile_h_32.gif

Spec,

There are bio-engineered fish you can buy in pet stores. Well, not in California, they are banned here.

They are called GloFish. The scientists took normally black-and-silver zebra fish and they inserted genes from sea anemones or jellyfish to turn them red or green, and glow under black or ultraviolet lights.

You can read about them in this CNN article:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/12/04/fluorescent.fish.ap/

San Ramon VFT

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 16 2004,11:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ June 17 2004,7:35)]
[b said:

laugh.gif
 Does anyone remember the Simpsons episode where they made tomacco?  Well, it actually inspired some guy to make a tomacco plant in real life, I read about it maybe a half year ago or so.  
laugh.gif

smile_n_32.gif
there are bioluminscent fish that are completely natural... the ones you see are pet stores has nothing to do with genes... they just take the fish out of water, stick a needle in its gut, and fill it with bioluminescent material... The fish die a few weeks/months later
smile_h_32.gif
I think he is talking about the glo-fish. The fish that had the reflective gene added to them. While they don't glow in the dark per say they do glow a bright neon color under a black light

Back