What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's a praying mantis on my vft

I walked outside to check on my VFTs this morning and as I was cuddling them, I noticed that there was this rather large praying mantis on my oldest flytrap!  This flytrap having some sort of trap deformation problem, alarms went off in my head because I thought that this little bugger might be munching on my plant.

However, a quick search on Google calmed my fears by revealing that the praying mantis eats bugs and such - like aphids!

So... hopefully this mantis is eatting the icky aphids that I'm convinced are eatting my plant, and all shall be well.  I just hope that the mantis knows what he's doing, and doesn't trigger a trap =P

Oh - and here are some photos (will open in new windows):
Photo 1
Photo 2

*pats his newly found mantis*

I love mantids, Sometimes I even buy egg cases and stick them out in my yard!
smile.gif
I don't think they would eat aphids though, only when they're babies, when there big they will eat flies and stuff that your plants could have ate
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Oh, how CUTE! I love mantids. I should buy an egg case and set 'em loose in the yard....

I love mantids! I wish you could get them in the U.K!
smile.gif

That's awesome. Mantids are so cool.
laugh.gif

You can get them in the UK starman! There all over the place! I found a place!The place
smile.gif

Awww....he's so cute...and taste looking...wait...ignore that last comment.

Mantids are awesome insects.

I have found a few in the past in m yard. Whenever there around, I wack a few wasps and hand feed them.
smile.gif
(A fun experience.)

They are all around my yard and they're bigger then the whole plant! I once was watching one, and all the sudden it caught a big grasshopper and ate it live! It was kind of cruel but cool at the same time.
biggrin.gif

Hey Snugluz,

Your plant looks pretty big - I was wondering how old it is? I'm new to growing VFT's and mine are mostly pretty small, so I want to know how long before I can expect them to get as sturdy looking as yours. Also, I have a bunch of little to medium sized ones in a pot, but I think that after dormancy (or maybe after the next dormancy) I will put them in individual pots. The pictures I've seen of large plants all seem to have their own pots.

Thanks for the info.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ June 18 2004,1:57)]They are all around my yard and they're bigger then the whole plant! I once was watching one, and all the sudden it caught a big grasshopper and ate it live!  It was kind of cruel but cool at the same time.
biggrin.gif
I was going to post the link I found last year.  It was to a site where a guy had posted a picture he had taken of a praying mantis........eating a humingbird it caught.  Darn link doesn't work and I didn't save the pic onto my computer
mad.gif
.  If I find it again I'll post it here, but I think the page is gone for good.

Back