What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity levels

I have two venus fly traps and a sundew on the way to expand my collection slightly
smile.gif
These are going to go into pots this time instead of my terrarium. The humidity level here is about 30% today, and I'm guessing that's about average. I have read that fly traps like closer to 50%. Would it be best to get some sort of a cover for it to boost the humidity? Or would they be ok with 30%. Thanks
smile.gif

My VFT and sundews grow in open air in water trays. They are growing fast and they are very healthy. If you get a cover, you MUST provide air circulation. If you dont, your plants will produce weak and spindly growth.
However,in my experience, there is no need for a cover of any sort.
Regards,
Dino

Like Starman, my vfts also grow outside in a water tray with no cover. They are doing fine.

So it should be ok as long as it gets enough sun then. I will try them without a cover! I have never grown them just in a pot before with no cover......and I have never had one get that big....:p I should have made a connection earlier
biggrin.gif
Thanks guys.

I'm originally from ND too! Hurray.

Anyway, the only caution when using covers is to not leave them in the sun for too long or the temperature inside will get way too hot. I learned this the hard when when attempting tissue culture and I came out the next morning, and all my leaf thingies were black and very sad looking... =(

I just have all of mine in a clear plastic storage box where the pot and the height of the box are the same. I think that helps with humidity if you have lot of wind. Last year I tried one of those watering trays and I find that the humididty displaces too much and the plant doesn't get affected by it.

Be observant of your plants: 30% RH is quite low. Throw in some drying winds and you may have some troubles!

Starman:

Please remember that what works in your conditions may not apply to others with differing conditions. Try growing a VFT in Arizona without some way of upping the humidity and you will end up with a toasted plant!

I don't think they could survive outside with this wind and cold weather we've been having lately.  I am going to keep it inside.  There's been wind gusting up to 60 mph and we've had frost the past couple of nights  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
  Hoping for good weather again soon here.....I will keep an eye on the plants since they will be inside near a sunny window.  I will try not covering them first to see how they do.  Thanks guys.

p.s.  Where from in ND Snugulz?

I live in the mountains of Colorado and grow my VFTs outside. They do fine even though the humidity is all over the map. Usually it's in the 20 to 40% range outside. Right now it's at 75% because of the light rain we had ealier today. As long as the temps are above 40°f at night I leave my plants outside 24/7. They do a lot better outside than they do when I bring them in.

wow!
30 RH is very low. like the others have said.
its usually 80 RH over here in Valleystream New York on Long Island
if its that low of a humidity, then u can keep them out, but just watch them and mist them.
Best Wishes
Hellz

I wonder if the humidity levels would be better inside the house. We have a couple of small fountains in the house, and it seems like with the watering trays and all the humidity might be higher in the house.

Do sundews and VFT like misting? I have two other sundews and 3 VFT in a terrarium I got here on this site, and they seem to be doing pretty well. I have never misted them. The VFTs are having some troubles since I didn't know last winter to give them dormancy!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
So I hope they make it throught the summer, and I can give it dormancy next winter. But the larger VFT looks like it might be growing better now since it's been a few weeks after transplant.

Back