What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do you guys buy your distilled water?

I goto Wallmart and buy them at 49cent per gallon. Is there any place cheaper than that? 2 gallons lasted for roughly 2+ months I believe. I only water 2 carnivorous plants, 1 fairly large pitcher plant and 1 small venus flytrap.

Just wanted to know how much you guys bought water for and how much you use in a month?

if u r gonna get serious with cp growing, i suggest a RO filter. Most can make 50 gallons of RO water a day.
Best Wishes,
Hellz

I use a Sears Deluxe Water Purifier. It's a countertop water distiller. It isn't too speedy at 1 gallon/4 hours, but it works for me. I bought it for $179. You can get it for much cheaper on eBay, though.

I use it for my family as well as my CPs. After seeing what is left of the tap water after the distiller is done with it makes me never want to drink tap water again. There's about a tablespoon of yellow-brown water left in the boiler after the distillation process. Yuck.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

SanRamonVFT

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SanRamonVFT @ June 24 2004,10:04)]I use a Sears Deluxe Water Purifier. It's a countertop water distiller. It isn't too speedy at 1 gallon/4 hours, but it works for me. I bought it for $179. You can get it for much cheaper on eBay, though.

I use it for my family as well as my CPs. After seeing what is left of the tap water after the distiller is done with it makes me never want to drink tap water again. There's about a tablespoon of yellow-brown water left in the boiler after the distillation process. Yuck.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

SanRamonVFT
ouch... rip off!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
thats way too much for that sort of production

I use a 150 gallon/day R/O system, its really nice... didnt pay too much more than you sam

I buy my RO water at a tropical fish store nearby... havent got the funds for a filter yet, but Ill get one asap.

you might want to test your own water out first. i use well water (we have two large filters in the basement for it, though) for years and i've never, ever, ever had a problem with it. i never get mineral deposits,and all my plants grow fabulously.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kendogg @ June 23 2004,10:26)]I goto Wallmart and buy them at 49cent per gallon.
Your walmart has them for 49cents!?!?! they're 58cents per gal @ my walmart!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Someday if I save enough pennies I'll buy a r/o.....

I buy distilled water at Walmart, but I only use it to leach out the top of the mix in my Drosera and Utricularia collection. I use about 5-10 gallons per day to refill my trays so rain water is the way I go it.

I use mother nature provided water from the downspout of my roof, very reasonably priced...I go through about four gallons a day if there hasn't been much rain.

I buy my RO at a fill station at the grocery store for 39 cents/gallon. I go through about 20 gallons per week.

I built a stand down in the garage that holds 24 1- gallon milk jugs. I go through about 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a week. I collect rainwater when it rains.

Down here in FL, Publx Supermarket has R/O water machines outside the store that sells for $.30 a gallon...BYOJ. Bring your own jug.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ June 25 2004,7:26)]Down here in FL, Publx Supermarket has R/O water machines outside the store that sells for $.30 a gallon...BYOJ.  Bring your own jug.
You beat my cost by 3¢ a gallon Lauderdale. I get it for 33¢/gal at Walmart. You can BYOJ or you can purchase a container up to 5 gal in size to fill there. I go through about 6 gallons a week in cool weather (in the 70°s) but if it gets hot for a couple days I can go through 10 to 15 gallons in a week.

I use the lab's deionized water - with permission of course.

i buy my water from MARC'S grocery store, and i collect rain water. on average, i use about a gallon to a gallon and a half a day. that will rise to about two and a half to three gallons a day in july/auguest/september when it gets really hot here.

tech...

Back