What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long till dormant plants come out of it

ok i just got some Akai Ryu vfts that came dormant and i have potted them and pruned off the crappier looking stuff that was on it and left the stuff that wasnt blackened at all on it, and i was wondering how long it will take for some new growth, and are there any things i should know as a noob about a dormant plant? thanks in advance

They shouldn't be dormant at this time... Are you sure? Maybe what you are confused with is the informational sign on the bottom stating that the plants might be dormant, so smaller from ? to ?. So double check that they are not dormant from the site that you bought them from. If you are still in doubt contact the Vendor and they should be of further help.
If they aren't dormant just follow the regular plant instructions found on the internet or on this site.

Good Luck,
Peter

After 3 months of no visible growth (mid-November-> mid-February) I noticed trap response within a couple days.

i bought a terrarium kit and got 6 vfts in it 2 typical 2 dente and 2 akai ryu's and it said the akai ryus were shipped dormant and they seemed different from the other ones so im pretty sure they are dormant

Well if the description says they were dormant then they likely were. My only caution would be to make sure that you don't over water them while they are coming out of dormancy, during the transion stage they still seem a little prone to rot if too wet.

Other than that just treat them like a normal VFTs and you should be fine.

ok thanks alot
smile.gif

well you should start to see some new leaves soon, Make sure you keep it moist with PLENTY of sunlight to achieve the rich, red color from them

When are vft dormant? jus making sure, so i can get ready and wrap it on LFS and put it in a ziplock bag locked? or jus a open bag?

then refrig it for how long??

Az,

VFTs won't be dormant for a long time
smile.gif
It is still summer after all. Dormancy usually begins around Sept/Oct if you are growing outdoors, possibly later if indoors. Your plant will switch from making long petioled leaves to leaves that are short and lay flat to the ground. Wait untill no more leaves are being produced before digging up and fridge till Feb/March. Personally I do not use the fridge method but instead leave them potted and outside. Of course I live in a climate where you can do that but you might too.

i live in the bay area in california, its cold in the morning, and i live in the hills near the shore

I am pretty sure that VFTs can survive the Bay Area winter in pots outside. Might try to get in touch with a member of BACPS and ask them though

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When are vft dormant? jus making sure, so i can get ready and wrap it on LFS and put it in a ziplock bag locked?or jus a open bag?
AzNsUShi41, don't worry about VFT dormancy in the Bay Area. I lived on the avenues near Golden Gate Park and in Berkeley for about 10 years and grew VFTs outside year-round with no problem and no need for artifically inducing dormancy. They will naturally go dormant in November when the daylength gets short and the temperature drops.

Back