What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traps didn't work at first.

I brought home two common VFT's from Home Depot that looked healthy.

When I got them home, none of the traps worked. I was worried that the plant was not functioning properly.

After spending a few days in it's new home, the traps now work and it's growing more.
smile.gif
I just fed it a insect of some kind.

Usually, places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc... receive the plants in good condition, but the workers don't know anything about basic care of CP's, such that they deteriorate within in a couple days. By the time a customer buys one, the plant is stressed out. If it were a fish it would have ich or a bacterial infection.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 02 2004,9:55)]Usually, places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc... receive the plants in good condition, but the workers don't know anything about basic care od CP's, such that they deteriorate within in a couple days. By the time a customer buys one, the plant is stressed out. If it were a fish it would have ich or a bacterial infection.
Sorry Jimscott but that analogy just struck be as pretty amusing. But its true.

I have 2 new Red dragons(came with huge traps, but one worked and most are now dying) and one opened a trap today. It doesn't work. Is there a reason? New leaf needed, or will this trap work sometime. Its only half the size of the original monster traps though.

Traps can only close a few times before they will either stay shut or open.

Yet they still provide photosynthesis, so don't cut them off until they yellow or blacken.

A smaller trap just indicates the plant is stressed out.  Most likely just adjusting to it's new enviroment.  Give it some time and I'm sure the traps will get larger.

One of my VFT's is starting to grow real nice now.  The one from Home Depot.  It looks like a clumping type.  It's sending out alot more traps than my Dente that has upright thinner leaves.  But the Dente traps are larger.

Back