What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsil, is that the best?

does my plants grow faster indoor or outdoor?

Indoor - windowsill
reach up to 100*F
Humidty 40-80%

or

Outdoor
major Wind speed (Bay area, CA)
ZONE 10

Help me out
mad.gif

I would say inside.
VFTs dont like wind.

Why not just find some wind protected area to place your VFT?(like a wall or trees breaking wind) If this is not possible than yes just leave it indoors. BUt VFTs do prefer the outdoors better. My VFTs are sheltered by a mini plexiglass greenhouse(just to break wind.) You are quite lucky to live near the coast. Hot arid places can devestate outdoor CPs. Imagine what I have to get through growing CPs in the semideserts!

I looked up Richmond, CA on weather.com and I must say you got ideal weather to grow VFTs yearound outdoors. It would be a waste to grow them on a windowsill.

I grow mine outside all summer, so I say outside also.

the thing is, first i tried putting them outdoors, and they turned yellow and they fried in the sun, it gets really hot out their, especially wen its summer (now) and i have n. Ventricosa and D. centi... and S.Purpurea, where else do i put them? nepenthes i heard dont need as much sun.

anyways, tell me where to put the other plants and tell me how to cover the vft from wind, i was thinking about putting them in a terrarium - putting the pots in the terrarium thats it, anyways i jus got baby vft and is it healthy to put them outside or will they die? their bareroot btw
confused.gif

http://home.petflytrap.com/users/aznsushi41/collection/collection.jpg

if i put the pots in a tank, wouldnt it fry them from the inside? or can i jus leave the lid off? i think thatll still roast them - i dono
smile_h_32.gif
HELP ME plz

AzNsUShi41,
Here's a couple pics of my "Bog Garden".
Bog_garden1.jpg

Bog_garden2.jpg

If you compare it to BobZ's you will see they have something in common.  There are no barriers to wind surrounding the gardens other than possibly a fence several feet away or, in my case, the side of my house which I cropped out of the right side of my pictures.  It's about 5 feet from the rail where my "bog" is planted (gives me a chuckle calling that motley collection a bog).  The only time my plants have had damage from wind is when a couple of the pots got blown off the rail and a couple leaves where damaged when an especially gusty front moved through.

When you move your plants outside, do it gradually and at a time when you can be there to shaparone them and bring them into a shadier spot if they start getting burned by the sun.  You can also find a spot where they will only be in the sun for a short time before they are in the shade.  That way if you do forget them, they won't be as likely to get too badly crisped.   Don't expect them to adjust in a week or a weekend.  It will take many weeks.  It is also important to keep them well watered when they are in direct sun.  In the wild this is no problem.  The water in bogs also helps keep the plants cool even during hot weather.  Water trays duplicate this somewhat but not completely.  It comes down to keeping an eye on your plants in hot weather and moving them into the shade or house when necessary.  Remember that even indirect light outside can be more intense than your artificial lighting.  Hanging your plants in the shade where they get bright indirect light might be all some of your plants (like the neps) can tolerate or need.

BCK

I think your plants should be fine out side. I live in the eastbay. We can get temps up to 105, around 20-30% RH. My plants are in direct sun from 8am to 4pm.

so i should adjust my Sarrs from shade-----temp direct sun (sun-shade area) then to complete sunlight?
their in my room ryte now and get the sun from the windows, but since my dad moved the table in(cuz its soaking the windowsil) its shorter on the windowsil and get less sunlight but its undirect light,
collection2.jpg

so yea, is it a green on my "Sarrs adjustment?", tell me more about the adjustment steps guys, i apreciate it
biggrin.gif

I would let the plants grow out a bit more before they are adjusted outdoors. Do it slowly. Introduce them to the outside world in cool humid days first. Give them bubbled shade in the beginning. Slowly each week, increase the amount of direct sun. If you get nectar burns or burnt leaves, cut back on the time in direct light. I don't think you will have much of a problem adjusting the Sars since you live at the bay area. Its when you leave in the hot inland empire and valleys that you will have problems. How hot does it get in Richmondm during the summer. A place like that should not go above 80 in the summer. Again, so the aclimation slowly and you'll be fine.

I'm over in San Francisco. They do great year round outdoors. If they're drying out too fast, pot em up in a little bigger pot. The sars too. It's like our weather was made for these things. Even the ventricosa can go outside, but bring it in for winter. I have a N. ventrata and a N. rajah growing outdoors right now. The nepenthes would do great in the windowsill too, though. See if you can get some extra light on it, though, if it gets no direct sunlight.

Capslock

Are aluminum pans safe for CP's?

Back