What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growcoir coconut fiber

I've bought some GrowCoir Coconut Fiber and I have two VFTs in it now. They seem to be doing fine. There is also nothing else in there, just the fiber. Do you guys think it will work? Is it a good medium? As of now, it seems to be, but we'll see. I want to know your thoughts.

For those of you who don't know what GrowCoir Coconut Fiber is, click here to read on it:

GrowCoir

is it the texture of peat or is it long fibres?

i grew vft's in this stuff once because i didn't have any extra peat, i added 50% sand to the mix to make it 1/1. they didn't grow as well as my vft's grown in 1/1 sand/peat and i get the BEST results with all my plants in  2/1 sand/peat. that's the mix i grow all my temperate species in and it's also what's in my terrarium, it's alot drier than regular mixes but my plants LOVE it and grow great.

oh yeah, if you want to use 2/1 sand/peat i'd definately grow the plants in a trey of water, of if it's in a terrarium i'd keep extra water in the bottom of the aquarium.

Thanx. And it's the texture of peat I guess. It'l like potting soil. but it's really good at maintaining moisture without water logging. You'd basically use it in place of moss, so would you grow a vft in moss only?

yes its possible, just makesure it doesnt get to wet or mold will run a muck
Hellz

I bought some growcoir from here (PFT), but I haven't used it. I read somewhere recently, I beleive it was on these forums, That it starts out good, but turns to mush fairly quickly.

Like I said---I haven't used it. Its still sitting in the package unopened. I may use it next spring on some of my typical VFTs just to see what I think about it.

I use a 50-70% peat/30-50% perlite on my VFTs, and it seems to work well. I've tried the peat/sand mix and I'm sticking with the peat/perlite.

As peter noted in another thread: With all the different kinds of sand out there---many of which will kill these plants--its just simpler to use perlite.

If you really want to use sand, which I believe will get better growth through experience, go to Walmart, Meijers,... and try to find a bag of sand that is PURE WHITE! I mean no blacks, browns, ...
A little pink or some inpurities here and there is ok, but try to look for sand that looks simular to salt or sugar.
To be sure that the sand is suitable, put some in Vinigar and if there are bubbles(Excluding the air bubbles) then the sand isn't usable because of the Lime and what not. If there are no bubbles then you've got good sand!

I have the sand that Peter mentioned. I have found one problem with it(for me at least) and that is that because it's so fine, the soil tends to compact a lot more.
I have especially noticed this with Drosera, in that they are stunted, compared to milled sphagnum(especially when starting from seed).
I have yet to find a courser sand of appropriate nature here in Nebraska.

Joe

i use the playsand from homedepot in the bulding supplies. it's pretty course and i get great growth.

Back