What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New guy

Sup everyone?
I'm new to the whole carnivorous plants thing, i bought an around 2-3 year old Red Purple venus flytrap (big mouth), and i bought a 3 gallon terrarium from PFT. I also bought a packet of typical VFT seeds. Any tips on sowing? I also bought gibberellic acid and want to know if thats any good on VFT seeds, how much to mix, how long to soak. etc. Anything i can do for the already growing red purple when it gets here? thanksssss
smile_m_32.gif

Also, i live in new york, it get's really hot around the 90's or higher (day), 70's or lower (night) in the summer and really cold, around 30's in the day and it isn't unlike to go down into the teen's at night, any tips you could give me on how i could go about dormancy, i think its too cold, what could i do?
thanks alot:)

Welcome to the forums, AE! I can't answer your questions as I've never dealt with VFT seed. On the dormancy, that is indeed too cold. You should be able to either find a basement or other cold-ish room to store them, or put them in the fridge for the winter. I'm sure a fellow New Yorker will come on with their methods. There are a lot of NY folk here.

Capslock

Welcome to TF! I'm originally from the Bronx and grew up on Long Island. There is a topic about gibberilic acid, somewhere back several months ago.

Welcome to TF!
smile.gif
I cant stand terrariums because of the problems people run into with air circulation,watering and winter dormacy! If you ask me, most of carnivorous plants are either more suitable on a windowsill or outside.

what do you think about me using the terrarium just for sowing the seeds, i read that they benefit from the high humidity, then i transfer them to pot and put them outside. would it benefit the seeds being inside of the terrarium for the first year or so, or should i just throw the thing away..
confused.gif
i want to try and at least get some use out of it.

Don't throw your terrarium away! Many folks grow vfts in them with success.
Just be sure you have the right soil mix, lots of light, and good air circulation.
And welcome to Terraforums!
Let's hear from the New York people for helpful hints
biggrin.gif

*sniff sniff* New York? *sniff sniff* That is like one of my favorite places in the world right now... *sniff sniff*
Anyway *dries eyes* Im sure you're gonna love it here! lots of useful tips and answers out there! Welcome!!

Ive heard that it isnt necessary to put o VFT into dormancy the first year, but if you did, it would only benefit the plant...

Back