What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! innocent vft life at stake

dumb me ordered soil and a plant from two different places, so the plant might get here up to 2 days earlier than the soil, how could i keep this plant alive for about 48 hours out of soil? (meanwhile coming straight from shipping, already in bad enough condition) need some quick answers
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif

thanks everyone

Not sure what your situation is in NYC, but if there's a walmart, kmart, etc around---just go buy some canadian peat moss. Perlite or sand too, if you are going to create a mix. A lot of "sands" will kill VFTs, so be careful if you intend to use sand.

Otherwise, there has to be somewhere local that sells plant stuff. They can sell You what you need---or direct you where to get it.

HTH

bad news.. the plant shop has no peat moss plant is due here tomorrow, soil is due friday could i just leave the plant in the packaging or just put it in water?

I don't know exactly how your vendor ships their plants out, but yes---you can just leave it in the bag. Check the moisture in the bag at the roots/bulb--you don't want it soaking wet, but you don't want to let it dry out either. Keep it in a cool place until your media arrives. IF you decide to put it in the sun (on a window sill, etc) then be sure to leave the bag open---or the heat build up will probably cook it.

Since its been without light for a couple of days or more--you may want to just set it somewhere--where it will get very indirect light.

I'm sure there are a ton of alternatives, but keeping the roots moist and messing with it as little as possible--is probably your best bet.

HTH

Your doomed...

Just kidding. You SHOULD be fine, it may get a little stressed, but that's ok.

In alot of cases I've had plants arrive very stressed but, none have died. The most traumatic thing they did was split into two seaperet plants. I say traumatic because I fell off the poarch while jumpping for joy
biggrin.gif

ok i'll leave it in the box until the soil comes.. thanks everyone
smile.gif

Back