What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few quick questions...

Are there any bugs that would be bad to feed one's VFT??
and...
Once a trap dies, does the entire lobe/leaf supporting it die as well? or does the trap just fall off and a new one grow on the tip?

Thanks!
smile_n_32.gif

Depends on what You mean by "bad". If bad is killing the trap---then moths will do it, caterpillars have chewed their way out, some ants don't work well, etc

A new trap will NOT grow on the leaf.

HTH

Well first of all: only feed insects. Not hamburger meat or anything.
smile_l_32.gif

Secondly don't feed to large prey.

When a trap dies the whole leaf dies slowly also. (From my experience with Royal Reds' long but small leafs)

Thanks HTH and Phyrex! Thats exactly what I needed to know! LOL

One more...

Would it be bad for the soil to be too wet (ie. saturated)?? If so, what is the boundery line between saturated and damp? (or is there one? I know the soil has to stay damp at all times...)

What many people attempt to do is mimic, as best they can, natural conditions. Bearing that in mind, the soil moisture will vary from day to day and within the day. It isn't a bad thing to have the media saturated from time to time, nor is it a disaster for it to be close to dry, briefly. For some CP's, like the pigmy dews, and I am guessing the ones with naturally longer and developed root systems, they need the times of dryness so that it gives the plant the incentive to dig down and get their roots developed. It is similar to exercising a muscle, or in our case, spiritual strength. The more the varied conditions, without totally destroying it, the stronger the plant is.
smile.gif

The plants grow in bogs so wet is fine. In fact, right now, some of mine are completely submerged in water and are fine.

Once the trap dies, you can clip off the the blackened trap and leave the petiole (leaf), as long as it is still green. All green plant material is still making chlorophyll, the major source of nutrients. Once the petiole has died off, you can snip that too. Too much dead plant material can attract mold or fungus.

Just think about how the plant grows in nature and try to mimic that...and you'll be fine.
smile.gif

Moth's are fine for the plants, actually I reccommend them if easier bugs aren't available. The only thing is to make sure you find fat ones not the skinny or your plant will spit it out the next day. Also if needed you can pluck out the wings, only leaving the body if the moth is too big.
Like people say, certain beetles and Catapillar's chew their way out so make sure they are dead. Some other bugs to avoid are those mushy types like slugs, earthworms, ect... otherwise try out different bugs and exeriment.
I have my secret little bug species that I found work better then crickets and grasshopers...
biggrin.gif

*whhheewww* lol Thanks abunch guys!! I was worried about the bug issue cuz I fed a lady bug to a trap and THEN I got concerned on how it would affect the trap (it looks ok though)...I feel better now! lol THanks for the answers!!
smile_n_32.gif

Back