What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft is here! (wipes tears..)

I got my big mouth (red purple) vft from cook's today.(jumping up and down). This is how i did everything see if i screwed up..
Well first i took a gallon of distilled water and put some superthrive in it. then i took the peat moss and soaked it with the distilled water and superthrive. then i put it in a 4 inch pot. then i planted the venus flytrap in the soil. im hoping the superthrive will help it out since it's been in a box for like 3 days. i put it outside (there is no direct sunlight its kinda cloudy and its late afternoon so im thinking it will be ok). after about 30 minutes of it being outside im seeing that the traps are opening a little more (when it got here they were a little more than halfway closed). there are 4 traps one is a little bit more brown than the others (i hope it doesn't die). the traps are 1 cm . its smaller than i thought it would be but thats not a bad thing.. this way i can see it grow. still on a little blurry on a few things. like dormancy.. i don't know if i should let it go dormant this winter or not i think i will though. i plan to give it light (sunlight) all day (about 3-4 is direct sunlight). tell me what you think

thanks everyone
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ July 15 2004,6:47)]there are 4 traps one is a little bit more brown than the others (i hope it doesn't die).
If it dies, don't worry. It'll grow a new one.

Sounds good to me. I just got my VFTs also, and they're looking
decent. Still in shock I believe, but it's only been 4 days. About 1 trap
on each plant was already dead or dieing, so don't worry about yours
they'll grow back. I didn't use superthrive, but I might buy some soon.
Let me know how it works for you.

VFTs are tough plants (as some might say after having accidentally fried or frozen their plants), adn being in a box for 3 days won't hurt it. It wil just use up a portion of its food reserves, and will replish that easily. SOme of my dosera have been in a bag for a week, and many companies ship their plants for 1-2 weeks, and most arrive healthy, with minimum damage (mentally or physically)
smile_n_32.gif
. You don't have to use superthrive, but I suppose a little won't hurt, will it?
smile.gif

Since I didn't see an answer to the dormancy question - yes, put it through dormancy!

Back