What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first carnivorous plant!

Hi. New to the forum, just fot my first CP, It's a VFT. I tried growing one from a seed before but did not work...
smile_o_32.gif

Here is a pic, or 4. What type is it?

1.Full on.
2.Biggest and longest stemmed trap.
3.Over head view.
4.Dented trap-should I remove?                                            
Venusflytrap.jpg

Also I've got this kritter keeper that is not in use, it is about 2 gallons in volume (only know it in water). Do you think it is worth using it as a terrarium for my new VFT? If it is to small I can get a bigger one from the petshop-Probably 4 gallons, just a guess.

It looks like what is referred to as common or typical. don't remove anything that is green, because it is alive and providing more surface area for photosynthesis. That would be okay for a terrarium as long as you leave things open to the air. An underrated factor for CP's is air circulation.

typical.
Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of CPs.

Welcome to the forum! That's a nice looking plant. I also thought for quite some time that a terrarium was necessary for my plants. After reading quite a bit on here, and asking the same question, it seems the majority feel that a terrarium is really not necessary for VFTs. Humidity isn't a huge factor for them. For myself, I keep most of my venus fly traps in a large tray of water. The house humidity level is below 20, but above the tray where the plants are, it is 50-60% relative humidity. So if you water using the tray method, it should keep the humidity at a nice level. But if you want to use a terrarium, that is fine too. I have a few of mine in a terrarium I bought on this site. But I have learned it is not necessary. Congratulations on your new plant! I hope it brings you many years of happiness.
biggrin.gif

I keep all my plants in a small terrarium with a 2 blub flourescent light above them. I mainly do it for the look and to keep my cat away from eating them
smile_n_32.gif
. They all couldnt be healthier, so there's no downside from using one!

Heres a pic of the terrarium setup- my VFT looks a bit lonely, do you think I should get him a mate or 2?-
terrarium.jpg

i'd take it out, and put it outside under proper light.

make sure it's getting plenty of light: put it on a windowsill that gets direct sun(make sure to take the top off first! You wouldn't want a cooked plant!) or just put it outside(again, top off). They love light and it is essential.

Hello Also

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your new plant and get many more.
smile.gif

That's a nice looking VFT. As others have stated, you do not need to grow your plant in a terrarium. A lot of newbies think this, probably because they are sold in those covered pots or they think they are a tropical plant. In my experience, my VFTs performed much better in pots and left outside so Momma Nature could do her thing. That's not to say you CAN'T grow them in a terrarium--many do. But you will have additional issues to deal with like air circulation and making sure it doesn't get too hot inside.

What do you have it planted in? It looks very dark for peat but that just might be the photo.

Good luck with your new addiction...I mean, addition.
biggrin.gif

Suzanne/PAK

I heard or read somewhere that the main reason why CP's come with the clear plastic dome is because it is designed to protect the plant during shipping. It CAN be used temporarily to help with acclimating the plant from store to home, as part of the "soft cultivation" so as to deal with shock. But it is only good temporarily. Air circulation is a definite must. It also works to invert the cover, placing it under the 2" pot, filled with distilled / rain water, giving it the open tray concept.

ya maybe get him a nice drosera, and before you know it that terrarium will be full of the little dorseras

Back