What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small experiment

im gonna do an experiment.. since everyones been saying gibberellic acid is useless for vft seeds (and since i have nothing else to do). im going to take 100 vft seeds, 50 of them i'll soak in G.A. and 50 of them i won't. i'll plant both at the same time, same soil, same water, same light, same humidity, same everything. I'll record how fast they germinate, and how many germinate. (maybe also how fast they grow). Is there anything else i should do? Does it sound good so far?

you should soak the other half in pure water instead of sowing them directly on the soil. you only want one variable, and if you didn't soak half in the G.A. and half in pure water, the experiment wouldn't be accurate.

don't get it? there is only one variable, which is one gets soaked in G.A. for 2 days before sowing and the other doesn't. they are both going to be sown at the same time.

right, but the other seeds havn't been soaked in a liquid and the G.A. group has been soaked in a liquid, so you have 2 variables. GA and no GA, and liquid and no liquid.

very true, thanks i never thought about that so i will soak half in distilled water with G.A. and the other with just distilled. thanks i didn't notice that

no problamo my man
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Since gibberellic acid is generally used to break dormancy in seed that is difficult to germinate due to natural inhibitors and VFT are not known to have any inhibitors to germination. I am kinda curious what your experiment is supposed to demonstrate? What is the hypothesis you are trying to prove?</span>

im trying to see if gibberellic acid is effective at speeding up germination and improving germination rates. I disagree, VFT's must contain some inhibitors, if they don't why is it recommended to stratify? Doesn't make sense
confused.gif

Most people don't stratify them... you get around the same germination rates if you don't. In the wild VFT's produce seeds early on in the season so they start to grow before winter hits, unlike many Sarracenia's where their seeds are produced in the fall and germinate next spring, so they need inhibitors.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>That's odd, I don't remember ever seeing any recommendation anywhere to stratify VFT seed. Where did you see this recommendation?

For speed of germination, a few of the fresh seed I planted this February germinated within 4 days.

Your experiment seems sorta like the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes". Seems kinda difficult to remove something that isn't even there to begin with.</span>

we'll see, i hope your right because stratification isn't really very fun,
confused.gif
i want to see what occurs though, maybe i'll be surprised.

Well stratification isn't fun, or necessary, but I agree on one point;
If you don't try it, you dont know.
easy as that.

I look forward to see the results of this experiment. You never know, something might just come of this.
Stop being so negative! If I had enough seeds to experiment, I would too.
All I'm saying is dont throw this away before it's concieved, we have a creative soul here!
Creativity should be encouraged, not quelched
smile.gif

/Quensel

?? What is "quelched"? Do you mean squelched? No quelching, uh, squelching intended. I was simply wondering what the point (hypothesis) was.

And, I was alarmed at dumping expensive and possibly hazardous chemicals on VFT seed, which do not need stratification to germinate if they are fresh, nor do old seed generally germinate at all. Perhaps once the seed is old, gibberellic acid will restore some germination?

Under proper conditions VFT seed is one of the most sure and rapid CP seed to germinate. Might be difficult to measure any difference in germination speed. However . . .

Back