What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big

Venus Flytrap Q.

Em, how big can these things grow?
I mean if were to seperate one leaf, feed it, water it and give it soil, and this leaf was on its own
- How big would it get if i kept seperating its smaller growing buddies?
And what is the biggest venus flytrap someone has on this site?

smile.gif

You mean the clumps or the leaf/trap size? Vft's are know to take over a pot by clumping. Maybe there is a better word then clumping.

The usual maximum is around 1 3/4". A plant can also clump and produce a lot of growing points so it's possible to get 100 odd traps.

yeah, but whats like the biggest hieght

Will,
just keeping one individual trap and cutting off all the rest will do nothing to make that one trap bigger..
if anything, the plant will just weaken and die..

the best way to get the biggest possible traps is to have excellent growing condtions! give your plant pure water, lots of direct sunlight, and let it catch its own food! (keeping it outside is best)
and only cut off old traps when they turn brown and die..
lots of traps will result in a more vigorous plant and a bigger bulb (rhizome) because lots of traps = lots of nutrition from sunlight and bugs..
then the bulb will be more likely to send up bigger traps..

IMO, cutting off all the traps but one will result in a weaker plant, and smaller traps..

Scot

i agree with scotty, but you can feed the plant living bugs yourself, too.

remember, if you want to get the largest traps, get a cultivar that's been bred to have large traps like bigmouth.

scotty's right, one singular trap will not benefit the plant. The leaves are meant to be for photosynthesis. To answer your question, one of mine did get up to 1.5", but it died of old age.
smile_m_32.gif
Some ppl here have monsters which I hear can devour humans :shiver:
smile_n_32.gif

Hmmm, waiting for someone to post a pic of that VFT in little shop of horrors...
smile_m_32.gif

This was my biggest...last summer. That's a 50-cent coin. If the lobes were spread open they probably would have been larger than the coin. It was a beaut!

largetraps7-03RS.jpg

Unfortunately, after some squirrel attacks, it is not so large this summer but did make a very strange mutated flower stalk with all kinds of leaves and traps growing off it.  
smile.gif

Back