What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves growing, traps dying.

I'm stumped.

My green dragon appeared to be coming out of its root shock funk just fine. All the leaves died, but some very promising sprouts started to grow and it looked like it was starting to find some new vigor. Now, for some reason, the traps on the sprouts are croaking, whereas the leaves appear to be growing okay (so far anyways). I haven't changed any of the conditions, so I'm confused as to why it would be taking a turn for the worse again. The same thing happened with my other VFT, but now it appears to be, at least for now, totally dead. I'm wary of checking the rhizome to see if its still alive for fear that any potential chance of revival would go to pot.

Is there something that might be causing this? Is there a condition with the plants that I have to correct? Are my plants suffering from severe mood swings, and require some sort of CP version of Zoloft? o_O

Sounds like root rot *I am not sure about your watering situation*. You may want to lighten up on the water. That is the problem I usaully have after vfts come out of dormancy. The stem and the trap come peaking out and then stop growing and die. Some more detail would help?
smile.gif

Uh oh...I don't like the sound of that.

Since its a closed terrarium, I haven't had to water it since I orignally transplated. I do let some fresh air in everyday, and give it an occasional misting to keep it moist inside.

I suppose I should let it go open air for a little while and let the water evaporate, if there's too much water inside.

Is there a way to test for root rot without causing root shock?

Back