What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trio of red vft's from home depot

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last August our Home Depot received a batch of VFT's that were red and had pots with multiple plants. So I purchased one of them. I put it thgrough dormancy come November and reversed the process in February. In March I put the pot outside. By spring, one plant produced a flower. Another, a flower and a vegetatively produced clone. The third plant, looking as healthy as the other two, produced neither flower nor clone. Why such variation of results from seemingly identical conditions?

This may seem like a cocky and retarded answer, but; because they are individual plants?

/Quensel

I dont mean to change the subject, but what do you mean by "Reversing the process"? You can PM if you get a chance....i was just wondering! thankies!

The forum is fine for this explanation. Instead of decreased light and temperature from summer to late fall, it is increased lightand temperature from late winter to summer. I took my plants out of the fridge around valentines day and set the pot, open tray, on the cold window sill it had sat from June 'till mid-November. Granted it wentfrom 40 degrees to lower 50's, but that's a lot better than 40->70. The increased light, according to what I have read, is a more significant factor than temperature. After a month or so, when it was apparent that the danger of heavy frost was gone, I placed them outside fro some toughening up, direct sunlight, and bugs.

Hey Jim, It makes me wonder if the plants were individually stored bare root and then placed together into the pots for sale. They could actually be different ages and from differing parentages if that was the case. How often does HD sell VFTs? I keep checking our local store with no luck yet.

Sorry Ron, I missed this post. My HD brings them in every few months and ther is a gap between last plant in batch and new shipment. I don't know how they were handled prior to shipping. To me they all looked identical. Same red color and traps were only 1/4". They are now 1" and mostly green, even though they have been outside since March and put through dormancy.

Back