What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White stuff on top of peat

Yeah.....there's a lot of fuzzy white stuff growing on the peat that my venus fly traps are in. I'm guessing it is some sort of mold? I planted these before I knew to rinse the peat before planting.

I bought some fungicide a while ago from this site for the mold beginning on my leaf cutting. Is this stuff safe for venus fly traps too? I've heard they are pretty sensitive to any sort of chemical. Thanks for any help.

- Joel

Mold.... bah! These CPs are becoming hard to handle sometimes, eh Joel? lol.

It may be mold and you can try the fungicide...or you could take your plant out, wash it well and repot in fresh peat (you can wash the peat well and nuke the peat to sterilize it). Check the bulb to make sure that's not rotting. If its not, your plant should recover.

However, what I would be questioning is...why is there mold growing? Check out your growing environment. Is it getting good air circulation? Warm, stagnant air can provide a good environment for mold and fungus to grow. If you are growing it in an enclosed space (bowl, terrarium, etc.) check to see if there is any extreme heat built up and make sure that its getting fresh, moving air.

It should be ok if you get the mold off.
smile.gif

I'm having the same problem rigth now, yes it is mold, and yes the fungiside should work. You can also try a little bit of charcoal on the top o fthe soil and that should change the chemecal make up of the soil. It's like putting a copper penny on a wart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mold.... bah! These CPs are becoming hard to handle sometimes, eh Joel? lol.

Hehe.....there are some surprises every now and then
biggrin.gif

PAK, the growing conditions should be fine. The plants seem as healthy as ever. They are inside, but still get good air circulation. They are in their own pots, and the air isn't too hot or stagnant. The temperature stays at about 75, and the humidity at about 60%. I didn't wash the peat before I used it unfortunately, but I did nuke it to get rid of what I could.

Jon, what are your conditions like? I may try the fungicide and just try to keep it off the plant.

Thanks for the suggestions
smile.gif

Back