What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft ate a frog

• Thread starter BobZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
This weekend I noticed a peculiar shape in one of my VFT traps. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a tree frog skeleton. Poor thing.
VFTfrog2415.JPG

VFTfrog2409.JPG

VFTfrog2422.JPG

Whoa, your VFT will have a huge growth sprout
smile.gif

wow! So much for frog legs...
smile_n_32.gif
I have to say that is a first seeing a picture of a dead frog from a vft.

If you don't mind me asking how big are your traps? That is one of the coolest pictures I have ever scene. I bet your VFT feels like a glutton after that.

He will not have the guts to do that again.
smile_n_32.gif

WOW! I've gotta try that... LOL J/K
But if I ever find a smushed baby frog in my yard you know where it's going
smile_m_32.gif

I'm suprised that the plant has the abilities to actually digest a frog that well, I thought the frog would be half digested or be all smushy...

Did the trap survive that(still working condition)? I'm really surprised how the frog fit so neatly inside instead of legs sticking out and the trap rotting. IME with the wek my plant has had outside...Nature positions bugs much better than I do with my crude attempts at hand feeding.

Do you know how long it took for the trap to digest it? I'd imagine it would take several weeks or maybe even a month.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you know how long it took for the trap to digest it?
No idea. I just found it that way. The skeleton had been slightly dislodged by water. These baby tree frogs are less than an inch long and don't have much flesh. Large juicy spiders and caterpillars are more of a digestion challenge to my VFTs than I suspect the frog was.

That's awesome! My vfts never eat anything besides the normal bugs and stuff.
laugh.gif

I know someone is going to gasp in horror but several years ago I made a habbit of feeding my larger traps small guppies. We had tons of them. The traps would complete digestion in 8 or 9 days and as I recall many could eat a second meal. The only remains left in the traps was a faint outline of the skeleton.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (flytrap59 @ Aug. 10 2004,5:58)]I know someone is going to gasp in horror but several years ago I made a habbit of feeding my larger traps small guppies. We had tons of them. The traps would complete digestion in 8 or 9 days and as I recall many could eat a second meal. The only remains left in the traps was a faint outline of the skeleton.
didnt it start to stink when they decayed?

No smell was ever detected. The fish were absorbed as completely as I've ever seen. Try it sometime.

WOW!

:: runs out and gets some guppies and smaill frogs ::

Bob,

I think that pic would make an excellent one for CPN (I would guess back cover).

Cheers,

Joe

Flytrap59: you know, that is actually a pretty good idea! They can't really struggle to get away and succeed like bugs...and they breed like, well, guppies.

*Gives a funny look to a few feeders swimming in his tank*

Back