What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No traps?

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
I just(4 weeks or so ago), as an impulse buy, received 2 red dragon VFT's(bareroot) when I got them they had big traps, but those died presumably due to shipping stress. Currently, the two plants have produced a few theves with no traps, and then what appears to be an attempt to make one that resulted in a very small, nonfunctioning trap. I see what might become viable traps coming out of the center, but i'm still concerned that maybe the plant doesn't have enough reserves to draw upon for traps?

Besides being patient and keeping them wet, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!

What are they potted in, where are you keeping them and what type of water are you using?

It really seems more then shipping stress to me. But if it is just shipping stress, then all you can really do is wait, wait, wait and be paitient. Don't worry about the energy reserves, when it has enough normal traps will come out.

They are potted in LFS sphagnum on R.O water.

Just today, I spotted a mite and some webbing on my typical VFt's that were right next to it(outdoors) so they are now submerged in the water to get rid of the mites. I tried this right before the typical awoke from dormancy and it worked quite well.

Nflytrap, I received a 4" pot with 4 red dragons about a month ago. The potting mix was 50/50 peat-perlite. Like yours, there were several large traps upon arrival which subsequently blackened and died. I just placed them on their spot on my growing table and other than regular watering I just left them alone. All four plants have begun to produce nice purple traps. One plant did lag behind the others but has started to grow healthy traps as of last week. Sometimes the best action is no action.  Keep in mind VFTs are stationary plants in their natural habitats. Like most (if not all) plants they would prefer to be left in one position in relation to their light source. It sounds like you've done all the right things so far: good lighting, pure water, correct potting mix and remove pests. Now leave it up to nature. Good Luck!

Allright. One of the plants has opened yet another "dud" trap. But hopefully later ones will be more promising. They are back on my windowsill, which means less light but also means no more mite infestations.

One plant has opened what looks like a functional trap!

The other one is producing more duds....really odd i that they are lopsided(rather than perfect half circles) and lack teeth-but arent fully open yet.

Thats what newly developed traps normally look like. Although some will produce ones that look like perfect half circles. Personally I like the ones with the "curved" traps.

No...these aren't functional. They open maybe 2 mm, and barely develop teeth. Want pics?

Back