What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow

I've put my plants outside so that they culd get some fresh air and "toughen" up, my drosera seem to take it well, but I'm afraid I can't say the same for my vtf...they're getting yellowing leaves (though I'm not sure about the akai ryu one...hard to see if it's getting yellow or not.)

They are placed in shade, they still get a lot of light but get no direct sunlight at all (it's the afternoon sun on that side, pretty hard.) Should I place them back inside or wait a little and then put them where there a little bit more light?

Going from indoors to outside you really did the wise thing. These plants do much better when given time to acclimate to outside conditions. They will need full sun, but it shouldn't be from one extreme to the other. The plant may be in a little shock, nonetheless. Don't despair, yet! Always, like in the capensis, look to the new growth. If you see new growth and it looks green, things are alright.

When bringing my plants from indoors to outside, I put them in our screened in back porch, which has a northern exposure. Depending upon the plant's condition, I will cover it or leave it open to the air. After a short time and the plant seems to be responding, then I will bring it to the front for full sunshine and the other elements.

I took a look and can say this :

Drosera Capensis : Looking good and motivated, new green growth, eating flies, get flies stolen by spiders, eating other flies anyway. Happy.
Drosera Intermedia : Looking good and small. Still a killing machine. Flowering. New leaves not even red yet and already eating. Happy.

Dionaea Red Dragon : Looking realtively ok. Browning leaves. New growths looking... well...red. Seems like it's growing much more slowly. Not eating, leaves exhausted. Not too happy.
Dionaea typical : Not looking so ok. Yellowing leaves getting a bit misshaped. New groth loking more of less green, kinda yellowing green. Getting slow too. Not eating, some leaves exhausted. Not happy.

So, how do I know if they "respond"? And won't putting my poor defensless plants at the mercy of the elements kill them? Ie full sun burning them?

Do things relatively slowly. Tamlin recommends "soft" growing for plants that are struggling. For the capensis and spatulata and primuliflora I almost killed, several months ago, I had them inside, with not too much light, wet, and covered. Then I waited for new growth. After that I took off the cover during the day and put it back on at night, for a few days. When it seemed as though they have put out new, healthy, dewy leaves, I took the cover off, permanently. That was during the winter. By mid-spring, they all went outside. Maybe you'll want to take the VFT's inside and put them on a window sill. You can nurse them back to health and get them outside later. preparing them for dormancy.

Back