What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artificial lighting suitible for vft

I want to turn a 10 gal. fish tank into a year round home for VFT's. what would be required?

put it outside year-round and use the terrarium for tropical plants.

If you want to use the tank and not put the vfts outdoors. You should use a 4 tube 2 foot shoplight fixture(or 2 2 tube fixtures.) they should light a 10 gallon enough. I would recomend useing potted vfts and putting them on top of empty pots to raise them closer to the lights.

where i live, it would die outside in the winter. i want to enjoy the plant year round, not stick it in a fridge for 3 monthes

how much do you think one of those 4 tube shop lights would cost?

also i think a flourescent bulb made for aquatic live plants in a fish tank would work better

says you live in NY. you can protect it in the winter by putting it in the basement in a window if you have one, or mulching it. you can also stick it in the fridge.

If you keep it in that tank forever that things a gonna kick the bucket.

While I agree with everyone else that growing outside is best,(even in N.Y.- I live in "frosty" Michigan and grow VFTs ouside) you can grow VFTs in an aquarium indoors year round. I did it for 10 years with a fair amount of success. First of all, if you don't need all the space provided by a 10 gallon tank I'd suggest you use a smaller size such as a 5 or 2.5 gallon. In any case, you want your plants no more than 8 inches from the lights. You won't actually need a 4 tube fixture either. You can take a common 48", 2 tube fixture and use reflective material like tin foil to increase the intensity. Tape it underneath the frame above the lights. You can also make side refectors by taping sheets of foil onto cardboard and "boxing" in your tank on all four sides. Next, you'll need a timer to control the photoperiods. I operated the lights for 16 hours per day during May, June and July (prime growing season) and reduced gradually to 9 hours per day November, December and January (dormancy). You'll also want to lower your plants to 12 inches from the lights during the dormancy period. Cut back on watering at that time too.  My VFTs usually looked healthy and very colorful for two or three growing seasons when grown this way. I even managed to collect seed and raise seedlings a few times. However, they always became sickly and eventually died after a few seasons. Good luck in whatever you choose!!!  
smile_l_32.gif

Frosty! More like Freezing in MI!

Checking the ole' profile it says you live in Dunkirk. How's the grape growing this year? Even had the ice cream on occasion. I lived in Buffalo for about 20 years, so I know where you are coming from - figuratively and literally. Personally, I think the VFT would do well outside for another couple months. They will also survive that first frost in October. Just monitor the weather predictions as October turns to November. While all this is happening, as the temperature waffles downward, the photoperiod is slowly putting the plant(s) to sleep. Depending upon just what turns out to be weather's reality, you can bring the plant inside and then in the fridge for the next 3 months for dormancy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (al885 @ Aug. 15 2004,7:31)]I want to turn a 10 gal. fish tank into a year round home for VFT's. what would be required?
I have the same thing. I have 3 neps, 2 vfs, 3 dews in one 10-gallon tank. I have the lighting set for 15 hours a day. Every inch is taken but they are healthy. I realize outside maybe good but I have tree rats and blue jays that peck at my plants
mad.gif
. So I keep them inside all year. Just a simple 10-gallon light and leave a 2-inch crack on the top for air you should be fine. If I can I will post a picture....

Nice to have you on board!
Travis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 17 2004,8:02)]Checking the ole' profile it says you live in Dunkirk. How's the grape growing this year? Even had the ice cream on occasion. I lived in Buffalo for about 20 years, so I know where you are coming from - figuratively and literally. Personally, I think the VFT would do well outside for another couple months. They will also survive that first frost in October. Just monitor the weather predictions as October turns to November. While all this is happening, as the temperature waffles downward, the photoperiod is slowly putting the plant(s) to sleep. Depending upon just what turns out to be weather's reality, you can bring the plant inside and then in the fridge for the next 3 months for dormancy.
I dont know much about the grapes but we are having a very rainy summer...

That's more Fredonia and Chautauqua County. But you still have Dunkirk ice cream, right?

they make grape flavored icecream?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 17 2004,5:45)]That's more Fredonia and Chautauqua County. But you still have Dunkirk ice cream, right?
yeah i know theres alot of grapes around here i just dont know how they're doing. yeah the icecream place is still open i live by it

Back