What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trick i discovered

Hi All,
Just thought I'd mention this trick I discovered today while I was trying to catch bugs to feed to my VFT's. I have these fast little flies in my yard that are almost impossible to catch, but are the perfect size for smaller VFT's. Now I can catch them effortlessly. First, get a *good* spray bottle and put distilled H2O in it. Adjust the spray so it is just between a mist and a stream, so you get a nice powerful stream/mist. Then get a small cup and put a little water in the bottom. Find your victim. Place the cup on one side of the bug and then forcefully squirt into the cup from the other side of the bug. This blows the bug into the cup and wets it down so it can't move well. For the flies, I take off a wing so I won't lose it, then feed it to my traps.

Adios,
Scott

Wish I had a videocam for that footage!

How 'bout capture it using any random plastic container (with cover of course), open the container a little under water to let air out and water in, then when the fly's wings are wet you can remove it with a dropper or toothpick and place them in those yawning mouths. Other time you may have to shake the container (of water with fly and water inside), or put the container without water in the fridge for more stubborn bugs...
smile_m_32.gif

I caught at least 5 flies in as many minutes, so using a spray bottle is a quick method. I like the eye dropper idea for getting the buggers out of the cup, though! It can be difficult to grab them by their wings with tweezers.

Scott

i like to find a nice big anthill, then place all my plants i grow outdoors around it in a circle. then i open the top of the anthill and let the feast begin!

Or use a net...and a cup....

just use an electric bat... its fast and neat... and the flies will still be alive.... its in my webpg..

Just remember to catch and release so those little guys can grow up to be bigger.

Catch and release lol! Why not just culture Flightless fruitlies??

-Juan-Carlos
Miami, Florida
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Aug. 23 2004,8:10)]Just remember to catch and release so those little guys can grow up to be bigger.
Flies don't grow bigger. Once the maggots pupate, out comes a full size fly.
smile.gif
However if you catch and don't release, the flytraps can grow up to be bigger
smile.gif

Peter

I have an even easier trick....

1) set VFT pot outside
2) Let trap catch its own flies

lol
laugh.gif

These are great ideas! Thanks! Catch and Release, right! Let the vft catch flies naturally...BRILLIANT!
smile_m_32.gif

I have givin up on flies, I use insects that do not fly.

Back