What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standing vft leaves?

hi guys
Im just curious

some of my leaves on my VFTs are starting to stand

is this a problem due to overcrowding of traps or something?

almost all my new VFTs are duing this...
I dont think it's because of lack of light, the new traps are getting colouration, here is a pic of my 'fast'

VFTaug04_006.sized.jpg

They're late!! Most VFT growers get the erect traps starting in mid-spring. It is a natural part of their growing habit. Not all VFT's will go erect, but the majority of them will. They lie flat in the fall and winter, taking on the erect phase when the spring and summer come on. Yours may be a bit late, but let'em grow. They'll love ya for it!!

Hi wezx!  Your VFTs are simply telling you they're healthy.  In the wild VFTs tend to have two stages of growth. In the early spring they'll have shorter petioles (leafstalks) with traps that lay flat on the ground. As the season progresses and surrounding grasses begin to grow VFTs may also begin to grow longer upright petioles to support the traps off the ground. This helps to prevent the traps from becoming burried beneath the grass. Many of my VFTs had one to two inch flat petioles at the start of the growing season and now they're sporting upright three to six inchers. Your profile says your flat is blocked from direct sunlight. What kind of lighting are your plants getting?

thx guys for the help
I give them those cheap fluorescent lights set ups, they seem to be growing fine with them... does it matter? should i change the period the lights are on?

I don't know if it is just me, but the leaves seems kind of twisted. This a a cause of not enough light, but yeah the plants always send up erect traps in the summer. Mine are doing them kind of late this year due to the wacky weather.

I use aquarium/plant lights. I think I paid $5.70 per bulb (tube)
the last time I bought them. However, I've spoken with two professional CP nurseries that use the cheapest florescent tubes they can find. They feel it doesn't make a big enough difference to warrant the extra cost. I prefer the grow lights for the simple reason they've been designed to provide a spectrum most beneficial to plant growth. In any case, a photoperiod of 14 to 16 hours is customary during the active growing season and 9-10 during dormancy.

Back