What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving my vft's with me...

hello again
smile.gif

my two home depot VFT's are doing wonderfully, the dentate is turning beautiful shades of red-purple and both plants have nice thick leaves so i take it they're happy.

and nooowwww i have to disrupt their little world and move them 8 hours away.

if i take them out of their standing water, stick them under plastic cups like the ones they came in, and put them in a little cooler (so they don't fry when we stop for lunch), will they be OK for an 8-9 hour road trip? or will the light deprivation/anything else hurt them?

i THINK they'll be OK but i just want to double-check (sanity of college student after said trip will probably be worse than the health of the plants). i do want these things for my dorm room, they're really the only "pets" allowed... ;)

thanx!

er, also, another oddball yet related question....

i'm planning on flying back for thanksgiving. in the cooler situation, would the plants be OK in cargo or should i just keep them with me as carry-on?

(also another even less related question, if anyone knows offand: can you take a baggied-for-transport fish in the cabin? i would love a betta but not if it can't be easily transported by air)

(crazy bio majors like me, we freak out if there's nothing alive besides our roomates in our rooms
smile.gif
)

They should be fine for the trip, although vfts aren't really the best choice for taking to school because of the dormancy requirement. Unless you were planning to put them in dormancy when you go home for Thanksgiving? I totally understand about wanting to take them though. I'm taking some of my plants to school as well, just not ones that need dormancy.
Personally, I wouldn't trust anything valuable and or living to the cargo area
Leek.gif
And I don't know if you can have fish on the plane or not.
confused.gif

8 hours without light wont harm them a bit!
I think the cooler idea is perfectly fine..

and as for Thanksgiving, it would be much easier to not move them at all..
just get really deep plastic saucers, as tall as the pots, and fill them to the brim, essentially totally submerging the plants..they should go for a 3 or 4 day weekend fine that way, probably even a week without drying out..(you could test it the week before! see how long it takes to dry out..)
Scot

yay sounds good then
smile.gif
thanx for the thanksgiving tip...

and yes i know they need a dormancy, but these are new plants (only got them a month ago) out of tissue culture so i was only planning on putting them through it if they "ask" me (i.e. start to turn brown). i know a lot of people have said a dormancy in the first year isn't necessary, especially if they're from tissue culture. i figure i can do a refridgerator dormancy at school if i need to. lol they'll probably have to come with me in a fridge next year too, if i left them home my family would probably mistake the rhizomes for rotten vegetables and toss them...

ah ok fresh out of tc. Sounds fine then.

I also recently moved my collection to college (although the back deck doesn't get quite as much sun as my parents' place in Roanoke). Anyway, most dorms allow a mini-fridge, which is fine to use for fridge dormancy provided you warn your roomate not to freeze the poor things (or worse yet, mistake them for some form of vegetable
smile_k_ani_32.gif
). Just make sure you have plenty of fungicide on hand.

Yeah, what they said! Just a warning: Dining hall food is gonna be a shocker - especially the pizza. They don't know how to make it at all. Good luck.

Back