What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions

I would like to create a terrarium, I read that for light you could use a single flouresent bulb, and someone on the forum said for lighting your terrarium use 2-4 40 (?) watt flouresent bulbs-is that many necessary?

Thanks

grow the dionaea outside, protect it in winter (since your in NY) and stick tropicals in the terrarium. i like to sitck as many lights as i can over a terrarium.

Welcome to the discussion forums! Where in New York? Ive lived in from Bronx, Huntington, Plattsburgh, Albany, and Buffalo. Somehow I skpped over Central New York.

As suggested above, they will do well outside. That is where mine are and have been sonce March, following the dormancy period. Wehn I bought mine it was in June and i placed them, open tray, on a window sill. They prsopered during the rest of the summer. As the photoperiod declined and the window sill got cooler, the plant began it journey toward dormancy. Since I was new to the hobby at the time I experimented with different ways to achieve dormancy. The sill wasn't cool enough and the outside became too cold. A screened in porch was great until a cold snap froze the soil briefly. It spent the rest of dormancy in my fridge's butter keeper. Then it was back to the cold window sill to wake it up and finally outside. A month later it rewarded me with a flower scape.
smile.gif

Back