What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help a newbie!

Hey everyone! I recently purchased some venus flytraps (two regular plants and one red dente), the 1.5 gallon round terrarium, and a bag of soil from petflytrap.com. I am completely new at this and am basically looking for any help I can get on set-up, how much to water, etc.

Also, the red dente plant came bare root (not sure why... it wasn't what I ordered) and it came a while before the terrarium. I didn't have any soil to put it in, so I set it in a small cup with some gravel at the bottom and tried to keep it watered. The plant isn't looking real healthy. A few of the traps died and I trimmed them off... the plant just sort of "lays" on the soil now (all the "arms" just lay there). Any advice?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give!

ack... sorry. the bare root flytrap is a green dragon not a red dente.

they will be fine. pot them up, treat them like vft's should be treated, and they will spring back.

the petioles (arms as you call them
biggrin.gif
) are laying down because it's starting to become fall as the plant is slowing down in growth and it's supposed to make these leaves, rather than the spring/summer leaves that are erect.

you dont need to buy special terrariums or soil to grow vft's you can mix 1/1 sand/peat and pot it up. you can use other mixes, but that one is easiest. pft sells great soil but you dont have to order online. and you can grow them in trays of water outside year-round if your in the right climate.

thanks for the info! I know I don't have to buy any special terrariums or soils... but I did already from pft.com. so bascially I am just wondering how much to water them. should all of the soil be a little moist? It worked so well just keeping the plant's pot in a dish of water and I'm not sure how to best reproduce that same level of moisture... I'm starting to think it would have been a lot easier to just keep the plant in the little pot it came in. ahh well.

oh and JustLikeAPill... a cousin of mine happened to record an album in madison, WI at the same time/place garbage was recording. he playing "tiger woods golf" against shirley manson and I believe went to a few clubs with her too. lucky guy!

moving to VFT forum as this is more of a general question on them than a topic specifically about terrariums/bogs etc.
T

UGH! he met shirly manson! your kidding! i'm so jealous! if i ever met her i'd NEVER wash my hand or change my contacts AGIAN!!

and yeah i think it is easier to keep plants in pots lol.

Back