What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look what i got!

• Thread starter peter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    baby
OMFG!!!!
THATS THE SIZE OF A GOLF BALL!!!
VERY NICE FIND INDEED MAN!!!
ima hope to see pics of that baby when it pumps out some traps ^^
Hellz

DANG! Either you have small hands or that is the largest VFT 'bulb' I have ever seen! You will have to up date us on what it looks like next spring.

My hands I would say is around average, I'm 6'0 tall BTW.  I have had around 6 or 7 about that size for a while, but are a hint smaller the biggest having 1.5" traps.  I'm pretty sure that this one will be a great grower though.  I have some extras of around that size if anyone wants to trade.  Juan Carlos, kayaker78 and Nile, you'll be getting some big bulbs along with your trades soon hopefully.  Sorry for the Delay's, the ACT and Highschool have been pretty hard this week.

U mean u have more of those that size?!
WOW!!!
LMAO Those are amazing ^^
Hellz

sadly trading season is over for me this year, but if you have some in january i'd love one

HOLY COW! I wonder if that monstrosity would even fit in my pot LOL (my vft's are small)

That really is not that unusual for VFT plants that are allowed to grow outside given adequate space. From the looks of it, in the Spring that "bulb" could be easily broken apart and divided into 20 or so individual plants.

I've split plenty of them into at least four or five plants. But I'll leave this guy alone to see how it grows. I bet bobz gotten bigger ones! How big has your 50 year old plant gotten now?

having a 50 year old plant would be alot of pressure on me.. what if i killed it? its almost 3 times my age. i'd probably build a fortress around it.

Note to self: don't grow plants that are old enough to be your grandparents.

Pics don`t work for me:( It directs me to a site on cell phones.

AE Lol.thats funny:)

Peter didn`t Bob trade off his 50 year old plant to goldtrap? Or was that just a division?

Yeah, some of my VFT's just sprouted, so that means I should have a 50 year old when im uhhh 63, eek!

The thing about VFT is that an old plant plant does not get bigger with additional age, it simple divides and divides and divides. If you do not separate the plants, you end up with a big clump having multiple growth points. That is, a clump of individual plants, having their own "bulb", growing very close to one another. Over the roughly 50 years that I have kept my original plants, they have divided into literally thousands of plants, but none of them are particularly large.

The photo of Peter's clump is typical of a VFT that has been allowed to grow without separating the divisions.

I'm probably wrong, but I only see one growth point with about 3 very small ones.  The small offshoots look like newborns that occured this winter like many of my other plants.  But its hard to tell since dormacy is comming up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Oct. 31 2004,8:34)]I probably wrong, but I only see one growth point with about 3 very small ones. The small offshoots look like newborns that occured this winter like many of my other plants. But its hard to tell since dormacy is comming up.
In the Spring, after dormancy, the offshoots will become individual plants that will separate very easily.

Back