What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found a vft

Status
Not open for further replies.
He left it alone AND in bad conditions... he doesn't deserve the plant. If you wouldn't of picked up the plant in the first place it would be dead right now... Keep it, you saved it, if it wasn't for you it would be dead right now.

ok... a plant is not a dog.

and when the ASPCA gets a report of cruelty, i believe they leave a notice with the owner telling them that if they don't shape up fast, their animal will be taken away. for better or worse, like it or not, animals are *property*, and if you take a neglected dog out of its own backyard without giving notice, regardless of the morality of the situation, you WILL be fined/arrested. there was just an article in my local paper about a woman who tried to "rescue" a dachshund puppy from a pet store that is well known to be more than a little negligent with its animals, and *surprise* i believe she was fined at least the cost of the puppy, if she wasn't arrested outright. yes, the dog was neglected, yes, the place should be shut down and any last trace of it burned away, but that did not make stealing the puppy moral.

plants are also PROPERTY, therefore taking a plant that's been left on a table qualifies as THEFT, "neglected" or not. also it's a lot harder to tell if a plant (especially a plant as finicky as a VFT) has really been neglected, or if it just randomly decided to get sick, or if it was just recently purchased. on a similar note, if Home Depot is "abusing" its plants, does that make it right to just take one of theirs?

PLEASE put the plant back!!!
smile.gif
and next time, just leave a little water and a note!

Finder Keepers. I have actually heard that from several people that were later convicted of the theft. You would be shocked how many guns have been "found laying in a ditch on the side of the road". IT'S Amazing. Another popular place to get something that does not belong to you is "some guy gave it to me". IT'S AMAZING, perfect strangers giving away goods. What a great world we live in.

Theft is theft. Offenses of theft are graded by value, but they all remain thefts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Nov. 30 2004,11:59)]Finder Keepers.  I have actually heard that from several people that were later convicted of the theft.  You would be shocked how many guns have been "found laying in a ditch on the side of the road".  IT'S Amazing.  Another popular place to get something that does not belong to you is "some guy gave it to me".  IT'S AMAZING, perfect strangers giving away goods. What a great world we live in.  
interesting observations..
but I have no clue why you posted any of it, since it has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic being discussed..
icon_smile_dead.gif

still..nice try.
Scot

Actually yes it somewhat does, because it is saying that finders keepers isn't always a true statement and can get you in trouble at times.  Also, the second part I am not sure of completely but just adds to the fact of how people these days lie alot and what a crazy world we live in due to those thieves.  And so what if it doesn't have to do with the conflict directly, alittle added info can add alot.  
smile_m_32.gif

Ha, I like MoonFlowers saying about home depots plants- How come Scotty, Nick, and all the other people who are with the stealing idea don't go "Saving" Plants there?  It's because you get IN TROUBLE FOR DOING SO... stealing from a PERSON is just the EXACT same thing, even worse since the person paid more for the plant which came from their own pocket and it means more to the person then to a store with 20 of them.
Nick just took the plant from the person and not from a store because he knew he couldn't get in trouble, but it is the same thing wether from  a store or home depot.
I would like to see any one of you steal from Home Depot and post it on this forum!

Any more arguments from any of you or did I prove my point?...

no, you didnt prove your point, because its not the exact same thing, as you claim..
..the "home depot" analogy isnt the exact same thing as this situation..

a more accurate situation is if you are walking down the street and find a dried out, nearly dead VFT sitting on the sidewalk, with no one around.
do you take it then and save it?
or is that still "stealing"?

in the Home Depot example, there is no question who owns the plants. and I agree, that would be outright theft.
but this situation is not the same.
the owner is unknown.
it is unknown if the owner would ever return.
the plant *might* have been outright abandoned!
its possible..
its a much "greyer area" than taking plants out of Home Depot..not the same thing.

a more accurate analogy is if you find nearly dead VFTs in the dumpster behind Home Depot..
what would you do then?

Scot

They say everybody has their price. I don't know what mine is, but I do know it's a lot more than a plant that I could by for $8°° or less at Lowe's.

i edited my post because people are putting great emphasis on the part of my statement which isn't the point. There... it's simplified for you.

If it was in the dumpster it`s public property......(Yes I`ve taken plants from dumpsters)

But that Unknown could very well be somebody who just might of forgotten the plant outside for a day or even a few hours but was left outside at the wrong time when someone stole it.
Coppers part on how "a gun was left abandoned in ditch" fits in perfect. You can never know if it is truely abandoned or not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Nov. 28 2004,8:50)]He left it alone AND in bad conditions... he doesn't deserve the plant. If you wouldn't of picked up the plant in the first place it would be dead right now... Keep it, you saved it, if it wasn't for you it would be dead right now.

"He left it alone" Definately a bad thing to do in a public place. You never know when some dishonest person might come along and steal it.

"If you wouldn't of picked up the plant in the first place it would be dead right now..." A truly regrettable fate for such a great plant. On the other hand, by leaving it I would not be a thief. I could have stayed around to see if someone would claim it and left a note if they didn't telling how to contact me to get the plant back. Then I would have had a chance to meet somebody that might share my interest in CPs. Somebody I could trade plants with later when they started growing other CPs. Sure, taking the plant gets you a nice dentate VFT almost for free. I say almost, because now my integrity is tainted by the knowledge I stole a plant from someone. Depriving them of a chance to grow it and second it cost me a potential friend. The loss of integrity and the missed chance to make a friend are pretty high costs to me.

That is very well said BCK. One should always weigh out pros and cons to a situation instead of acting hastily.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 01 2004,10:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Nov. 28 2004,8:50)]He left it alone AND in bad conditions... he doesn't deserve the plant. If you wouldn't of picked up the plant in the first place it would be dead right now... Keep it, you saved it, if it wasn't for you it would be dead right now.

"He left it alone" Definately a bad thing to do in a public place. You never know when some dishonest person might come along and steal it.

"If you wouldn't of picked up the plant in the first place it would be dead right now..." A truly regrettable fate for such a great plant. On the other hand, by leaving it I would not be a thief. I could have stayed around to see if someone would claim it and left a note if they didn't telling how to contact me to get the plant back. Then I would have had a chance to meet somebody that might share my interest in CPs. Somebody I could trade plants with later when they started growing other CPs. Sure, taking the plant gets you a nice dentate VFT almost for free. I say almost, because now my integrity is tainted by the knowledge I stole a plant from someone. Depriving them of a chance to grow it and second it cost me a potential friend. The loss of integrity and the missed chance to make a friend are pretty high costs to me.
That would be true (missing out on a friend, integrity lost because you stole the plant etcetera, etcetera), but its not since thats not what happened. If a parent left their baby unatended starving and almost dying, would you take the baby and feed it, or leave it there, feed it, and print out instructions on how to take care of it?

Like i said earlier this whole situation depends on the person. This argument is going nowhere. This didn't happen to you or me, it happened to Nick. He stopped talking a while back. Aim your comments at him, not me, he's the one you should be trying to pursuade.

Oh I disagree with the lot of you!
Why are you all being so hard on Nick?!
He DESERVES the plant because it would have been dead by now, and the person who bought it obviously wasnt going to care for it properly!
probably one of them "decoration untill it dies" intentions.

Keep that plant Nick, I wouldnt give it back.
It would only die.
And havnt you guys heard of sacrificing and doing somehting bad for the greater good?
Dino

Starman. How do you know the plant would die? Had it been in the dumpster, there would be no question in my mind that he should keep it. But it wasn't in the trash.

AE, my comments towards you as you are the one defending what he did as being right. And this is a plant, not a baby. Plants are considered property. Babies are considered cute
smile_n_32.gif

Hmmm...doing something bad for the greater good Dino? Like what *swore not to talk in here about it anymore* did to you? I`d edit my post if I were you.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 03 2004,9:16)]Starman. How do you know the plant would die? Had it been in the dumpster, there would be no question in my mind that he should keep it. But it wasn't in the trash.

AE, my comments towards you as you are the one defending what he did as being right. And this is a plant, not a baby. Plants are considered property. Babies are considered cute
smile_n_32.gif
lol.. hey all my plants are cute ::checks up on plants during the middle of the night to check if they're still breathing::

Well the plants soil was bone dry, and it was very unhappy and hadnt been watered for days, how could it not die?
And for a VFT to be neglected like that, its obviously being cared by someone whod oesnt have a clue about them, and if they did water it they would most likely use tap water.

No, I shall not edit my post, Noah.
Because although Nick did something bad, he also did something good because he saved the VFT.
He did something bad but he saved a VFT from a death.
What is wrong with that?

I think this should just end with Nick probably didn`t know it was wrong and it may not have been wrong we just don`t know only his conciense(SP?) will dictate.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back