What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New vft cultivar

Hello

I have a VFT I have been growing for a while now that seems to produce fewer spines (Almost always 15 per lobe).  The spines also seem much longer then a typical VFT.

Here is a photo of one of the traps
New%20VFT%20005.jpg

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Interesting color on the cilia as well. Could register it I suppose if the trait is consistent and regular.

A very spectacular specimen. Take cuttings of that plant. If you find that the cuttings stabaly produce extended cilia, register it, name it, and propogate it.

That is beautiful Jeremiah, well done!

Yeah I have to agree the teeth and coloring looks the same, but when stressed like before dormacy, in my experience with a Long Red finger is simular to a cross tooth or better yet a fused tooth with all the teeth fused together.  
Kind of like this-
Looks bad due to dormacy...
d37eae24.bmp

Before dormacy-
lrf2.bmp

The Long Red finger is a great plant, but boy is it picky!  It's a very unusual plant, it grows like any other VFT in the spring and summer but in the fall is when it shows it's fused tooth appearence.  The plant really dislikes repotting and moving around from different environments.
(Sorry for the second post, if I edit the top one then I would have to reattach the pictures from photobucket.)

Peter. Interesting. I have a plant labeled "Dingley Giant." It also dislikes transplanting and when I took a cutting of it, shock impeded its growth for alomost a season. I recently changed the plant into pure peat.(The plant came with soil and I thought that that could have been the cause of stunted growth.)However, the coloration is just plain stunning! That probably makes up for its picky growth. All of Tony's plants are always stunning.

I have to agree with you uglypho, the dingly giant is a tuff plant to care for too! Mine aren't doing so well... espcially in dormacy, hopefully they will make it through. But when they are doing good they are a great site to behold.

If you grow Dinglies under florecent lighing, they do not need dormancy. I have one on a small terrarium. It has been there for five years, and has not gone dormant yet. Looks as healthy as ever.

I am growing two green dragons. I am treating them as best as possible. I have two in one pot. They are in great shape. What would make them a good cultivar.

FT9000, its already a cultivar.

The cultivar, 'Green Dragon' is already published.

It is? I thought "green dragon" was yet to be formally published? I only knew of it`s sister 'akai ryu' being registered.

Btw. Very nice plant you have there Jerimiah! Man if I`m ever around the Colorado springs area I`ll have to toss you a pm. and see about seeing youre greenhouse Lol.! Also that N.fuska sarawak form is doing wonderfully! Far suppassing N.ventricosa in ease of culture and beuaty! Hows the Dionea 'clumping cultivar' doing?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Feb. 22 2005,5:43)]The cultivar, 'Green Dragon' is already published.
Published where? If it is a registered cultivar, please give the citation.

Thats nice. I am always supprised by all the VFT cultivars. Well maybe my next batch of seeds I will examine for a unique plant.

When I saw this plant at jeremiahs I was instantly in awe, I immediatly noticed it from the other plants because it is very unique, In my opinion it is very worthy of cultivar status maybe If I go over to your house jeremiah you might be able to give me a cutting?

Back