What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member with a question

For the moment, I would have her pot be placed in a another container (plastic or glass), filled with distilled water. Am old fish bowl or well-cleaned out pickle jar or pretzel container will do. That's how I started out. I would have the set up be placed at a south-facing window sill. The idea in mind right now is to get her into a stable, safe environment, to nurse her back to health, before we worry about dormancy. Does the verbal description make sense?

No sense at all, Jim!!! But, I am after all, a man without a sense of humor.

Thanx Bugweed! Methinks your humor an mine are pretty similar. Not to mention BobZ, Mr. Rice, and all those other Steves. Did ya catch my post about reading my brand spanking new copy of Savage Garden to my plants, as a tribute to you?

Well, Jim, If they learned anything, maybe they will start acting according to the books. They'd be easier to raise if they would just read the books!!!!! Educate your plants!! NO PLANT LEFT BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 30 2004,8:44)]For the moment, I would have her pot be  placed in a another container (plastic or glass), filled with distilled water. Am old fish bowl or well-cleaned out pickle jar or pretzel container will do. That's how I started out. I would have the set up be placed at a south-facing window sill. The idea in mind right now is to get her into a stable, safe environment, to nurse her back to health, before we worry about dormancy. Does the verbal description make sense?
I will find a container and get her some 'good' water today. ? though.. If I am not wanting her to go through dormancy should she be in the window itself or should I not worry about that right now and just get her the light she needs?
Again.. TY for all the help,
B
ps. yes the verbal description makes sense

Well, here is what I would do.

Gently knock the plant and soil out of the pot. Put the entire plant and soil in a bowl of room temperature water. Gently wash the soil from the plant. You will notice some dark roots and a whitish "tuber" (rhizome). Don't be too vigorous or rub the roots or rhizome. Then replant the cleaned plant and roots in a fresh pot with 100% sphagnum peat that has been previously wetted with distilled or deionized water. Some will suggest using sand or other material to the mix, but for many years, I have found 100% peat is just fine. Be certain that the peat has not been "enriched" with fertilizers. Some brands of peat are better than others. I have been happy "Sunshine Canadian sphagnum peat", but I don't know what is available in your area. Then put the pot in a shallow bowl with 1/2 inch of water and place in a well-lighted area. Keep a small amount of water in the bowl and all should be fine. The plant will be shocked for several weeks, but it should recover.

Although not any of are "end alls", I would certainly heed the collective experience of BobZ & Bugweed before me... as well as several others. Now, having said that, as Bob was alluding to, the very experienced growers have developed their own respective soil media, lighting, watering, set ups over time, and they differ from one another. There are a few absolutes but many nuances of differences that yield success. If one were to ask a question and receive 5 responses, 4 are likely to be slightly different - but similar. Reading Tamlin & Pinguiculaman with respect to water and media can be confusing and amusing at first, but there are decades of successful experience between them. It can be intimidating at first, especially when one is looking for ONE good approach, but after awhile, ya get used to it and see the general concepts.

TY I will try to do that soon.. Seems like everything has to wait for the paycheck
smile_h_32.gif

I will have a healthy plant.. I will have a healthy plant.... I WILL have a healthy plant!!!

I hear ya about the paycheck! I like your mantra!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 30 2004,11:08)]Bob, ya sent her to Barry Rice? I hope she doesn't find that wonderful piece about ingesting dead skin cells! Oh grosso meo!
*laughs her freaking brains out*

I can't believe you guys still remember that! That was so long ago it's not even funny.. back in the days when I still said the word "wowees" regularly o_O

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lady_boadicea2001 @ Dec. 30 2004,1:22)]LOL.. ya'll are funny.. I don't think it will gross me out, not since watching a movie about how our stomachs digest our food and seeing slides of multiple flesh eating diseases...
Aw, that's nothin'..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 30 2004,1:52)]Oh, a small caveat about Mr. Rice: He has a delightful, sarcastic sense of humor - not unlike mine.
Same here, jimscotscoot, same here.

Back