What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vtf at home depot

• Thread starter huy716
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
I passed by Home Depot today and was shocked to see beautiful traps they have there.  At first glance i thought it was a D. "long finger" because it's the outter traps are green with light red band along the teeth.  I bought it home and looked it up and it wasn't a long finger.  I did home works to find out that it now looked more like a "Red Jaw and red band"(spelling) due to reddness inside the traps and the teeth r thick and long (not as long as the Long finger) with red on it.  So now i am really confuse if the trap is the "Red Jaw and red band" or it is just the normal vft.
confused.gif

A year and a half ago I purchased a container that had three very red VFT's in it. I thought maybe H.D. was being supplied some green or red dragon cultivars. I put them through dormancy and then had them outside from March through November. They never came close to re-attaining their red color. They had sleep, sun, live food for 3/4 of the year and flowered. But their color never returned. Maybe they were just "typicals".

Never assume that a plant from a place is this or that, what that does is create alot of impurities in the cultivar and further more confuses the plants origin and which is right or wrong. Like alot of Akai Ryu's have been mislabled by assumptions and guesses. Some are very weak clones of the plant and aren't worth cultivating as they are very hard to keep and not much to look at. This in turn ruins that cultivar and makes it hard to obtain a good true plant of that type.
If it really stands out after a year or two, the best you could do is to name it something that hasn't been taken. Like Red strip, Red leaf .... ect... again, only do this if the plant really deserves a name of its own.

Back