What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft cutting plantlets

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Is it common or normal for the initial leaves of a VFT cutting to be trapless, followed by real traps?

Normal? For a VFT? Jim, They will do all kinds of strange and odd things. Normal doesn't apply for a VFT.

Yeah, your right actually. My red dragon hasn't produced any traps (lots of large leaves) for a few months now. I'm getting impatient.
mad.gif
It may be the same issue with yours

Agreed. My red dragons keep "disappearing" only to reapear a few months later.

Oh no! They are attempting to overthrow N. rajah from it's crowned "King of Carnivorous Plants" title.

Until this week I had it enclosed in one of those pipette dispenser thingys. I uncovered it, so it should be getting less filtered light.

My dente just started putting on new leaves in the past few weeks. Three of them have been trapless (unless you count a little gnarled thingamajigger on the end of one) - just yesterday I noticed a new leaf with a trap, but it's less than a quarter of the length of the traps from last year. Until mine shrivels up and dies, I'll just be glad that it isn't languishing in some grocery store.
~Joe

Has anyone tried leaf cuttings from the leaves of last year's pre-dormant plants?

NEWSFLASH: In the latest report from a garden carnivorous plants are rebelling against their owners and taking over the world! Run for your lives! J/K
smile_n_32.gif

Hey maybe it could be a new form of carnivorous plant - kinda like a ceph, sending out non-carnivorous leaves as well as traps. What am I saying...

Back